Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and news media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, and unique experiences.
The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, and Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
Blavity Inc. is seeking a Senior Copy Editor responsible for ensuring that finalized content across all of Blavity’s Commerce & Consumer Media brands are on par with compliance, format, style, and tone. The person in this role is extremely detail-oriented, thrives on deadlines, and is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively across our brands Travel Noire, 21Ninety, and Home & Texture. While the Senior Copy Editor is a grammar guru, this content lead also understands that certain topics call for more conversational language and style.
The Senior Copy Editor spends about 50 percent of their time setting the bar and ensuring that our content meets the highest standards of clarity, accuracy, and sensitivity— as well as being free of typos and grammatical errors while following Blavity’s style and verbal guidelines.
This position reports directly to the Associate Vice President, Consumer Media Content.
- Work with Editors, Writers, and Freelancers to fully and thoroughly fact-check content.
- Copy edit articles and content for grammar, spelling, punctuation, house style, and editorial standards.
- Assist Commerce & Consumer Media leads with setting and adhering to publishing standards.
- Serve as gatekeeper of brand verbal guidelines and tone, making recommendations and updates based on changing business needs as well as audience sentiment.
- Write content as needed.
- Oversees the brands’ editorial pitch, content distribution and approvals in the absence of our Deputy and Managing Editors.
- Education: BA in Journalism, Digital Media, or Content Marketing
- Required Experience:
- 4+ yrs in copy editing, preferably with digital-first companies.
- Preferred Experience:
- Experience copy editing and writing in multiple brand voices across various lifestyle topics.
- Experience using affiliate platforms such as Sovern, Amazon Associates, and Rakuten.
- Technologies: Experience with project manager tools such as Asana and Jira is a plus
- Additional Qualifications:
- Strong copy editing and organization skills along with effective and appropriate written communication, including grammar and AP Style
- Super-organized self-starter, who can juggle multiple deadlines in a fast-paced creative environment and own tasks from beginning to end.
- Eager to grow within a fast-paced, evolving company
- A healthy appreciation of Black culture
- This is a fully remote role, occasional travel may be required.
- Candidates must be able to work at least 25% in alignment to the Pacific Time Zone.
- The salary range for this role is $64,480 – $80,000.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.