Full-Time Senior News Editor
Senior News Editor
The big picture: Axios is seeking a Senior News Editor to lead our team of breaking news and web-focused reporters and editors.
Why it matters: This is one of the most important jobs in our newsroom at a key moment when Axios is working to replicate our success in the newsletter space in our web coverage. This person will influence every area of our coverage and help shape our evolving web strategy.
Go Deeper: The Senior News Editor must be laser-focused on delivering sharp, fast-paced coverage that will help Axios stand out from the pack and bring in new readers.
- This role will report to the Director of Programming, and together they will oversee a team of 10 reporters and editors, ranging from experienced News Editors to more junior Breaking News Reporters.
- The Senior News Editor will also coordinate with the other teams in our newsroom Politics, Business, Tech, Health, World and more for real-time coverage of big stories on their beats.
- This role will play a key role in planning coverage for major events and ensuring we have a strong pipeline of stories every week.
- The Senior News Editor will also be a leader and mentor for the reporters and editors on the team.
The Details: The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- A sharp news judgment and familiarity with Axios’ news sensibility.
- Significant experience in a breaking news setting, including commissioning stories and overseeing coverage of major events.
- A demonstrated ability to generate and execute on stories that elevate coverage beyond the news cycle.
- Well-honed SEO skills and familiarity with real-time analytics.
- Proven experience leading and developing large teams.
The bottom line: This role is about understanding what stories are likely to excite and inform our audience, and mobilizing a team including coordinating with editors and subject matter experts across the newsroom to deliver them.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios Family Fund, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Starting salary for this role is in the range of $140,000 – $150,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.