The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
The Athletic is seeking a North America-based soccer staff writer to work with some of the best sports writers in the world and a talented team of editors to produce compelling, insightful, ground-breaking journalism. This is a full-time position.
The right candidate will have experience reporting on the world of American soccer, especially within the world of Major League Soccer and the USMNT. A demonstrated ability to break news is preferred, but a willingness to collaborate with editors and writers across the company is a must. The right candidate should also be comfortable writing features and explainers that break down major events in American soccer for a broad audience. Proficiency in a language other than English is a plus. Some night and weekend work will be required.
- Reporting and writing multiple stories per week about American soccer
- Collaborating with other soccer writers in the U.S. and abroad to break news and contextualize big stories
- File clean copy and meet deadlines
- Take on assignments from editors and generate your own story ideas
- Five or more years of experience in sports journalism, and/or a newsroom preferred
- Deep knowledge of American soccer
- An existing network of sources
- Willing to work some evenings and weekends
- This is a full-time, remote position that will require occasional travel
$52,500 – $70,000 a year
The annual base salary range for this role is $52,500 – $70,000 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- – Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.