Editor, required at Consensus Magazine for a U.S. Remote with CoinDesk which is the leading digital media, events, data and research company in this rapidly growing blockchain and digital asset world. We are driven by the mission to be the media platform for the next generation of global investors
The team of subject matter experts at CoinDesk delivers reliable and relevant content to both individuals and businesses, enabling them to make impactful decisions and stay current on this evolving industry.
CoinDesk is a quickly growing company with incredible ambition. Our global presence has grown exponentially through top quality journalism and event production, creating a community for millions of members. We are all excited to continue on this journey and take pride in the opportunity we have to make a long lasting impact. We’d love for you to join us if you’re willing to take on new challenges and immerse yourself in a world of intelligent, forward thinking people.
ABOUT THE Editor ROLE
We are seeking an entrepreneurial editor to push forward CoinDesk’s Consensus Magazine. The candidate will have at least three years experience as a reporter/ editor, with a background in crypto media or a related financial/business topic.
The individual has a proven ability to think creatively about modern media, working across departments including editorial, marketing, social media and administration. She/he will be proactive about developing stories, sources and writers, both for features and opinion pieces. She/he must have an interest in the commercial side of the media, understanding that journalism is both a public service and a business.
This individual will report directly to Ben Schiller, head of Consensus Magazine at CoinDesk.
The ideal candidate is ambitious, a good communicator, collaborative and ready to roll up their sleeves as CoinDesk continues to scale.
- Manage the workflow of op-eds both for the daily Opinion section and for theme weeks, staying on top of emails with contributors and keeping the Airtable updated at all times; hiring, pitching and managing contributors.
- Develop relationships with writers inside and outside CoinDesk particularly for Magazine theme weeks and during peak news periods (e.g. when a story like the fall of FTX breaks) when we need additional commentary.
- Manage projects independently: eg a new newsletter or new format type.
- Pitch new ideas and work cross-functionally to collaborate with podcasts/events/CDTV to develop innovative story ideas that have broad appeal.
- Build brand awareness by working through other news outlets, bringing in citations that establish CoinDesk as an authority on the crypto industry and the future of money.
- Work collaboratively across CoinDesk, understanding that success is a team sport requiring input from across CoinDesk departments: events, news, marketing, PR, CDTV, audience development, analytics, and so on.
- Must have at least three years journalism experience at a recognized and professional institution, preferably in business, finance or tech.
- Must be organized, hard-working, detail-oriented and enthusiastic about working in crypto media and for CoinDesk.
- Must have the ability to develop sources and helpful relationships across the blockchain/crypto industry and beyond.
- Must have the ability to develop storylines and angles, and to handle projects independently of senior management supervision.
- Possesses a pithy, conversational writing style, with an eye for detail and color.
- Ability to edit the work of CoinDesk staff, so the content is factually sound while easy to digest.
- Remote candidates are considered but they must be prepared to work collaboratively, communicate fully, and make an effort to build relationships across the company. They should be prepared to work New York hours starting at 9 a.m. daily or earlier.
In compliance with the New York City salary transparency requirements, the potential salary for this position is from $85,000.00 to $100,000.00. This range is not inclusive of any potential bonus amounts. Factors that may impact the agreed upon base salary for a particular candidate include years of experience, skill set, and other external factors.
In an effort to attract, retain, develop and promote the most qualified individuals, CoinDesk is committed to treating all applicants and employees in a nondiscriminatory manner with respect to the terms and conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status/service, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This mandate governs all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, promotion, training, education, social and recreation programs, compensation, discipline, termination and access to benefits.
For more information on our DEI initiatives, please visit: https://www.coindesk.com/dei/.
CoinDesk is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request.
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all employees whose position is based out of the NYC office. However, CoinDesk will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons on a case by case basis.