Writer and Editor
Writer and Editor
Fully Remote • Remote
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
American Farmland Trust, one of the nation’s leading conservation organizations, seeks a talented writer and editor to produce and edit content for a variety of communications vehicles.
As an integral part of American Farmland Trust’s Communications team, the Writer and Editor provides extensive copy editing, proofreading, and writing assistance for a variety of mediums, while assisting with the management of the organization’s publications. The Writer and Editor is responsible for ensuring that materials convey American Farmland Trust’s key messages and communications strategies clearly and without error, while adhering to our mission and brand.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Report, write, and edit print communications products, including but not limited to newsletter articles, annual report text, brochures, interview profiles, and other editorial content.
- Assist with the managing and production of the AFT newsletter, annual report, and other major communications projects.
- Interview subjects and draft content for StoryMap and other ongoing profile projects.
- Assist the Director of Publications in handling incoming organization-wide requests for assistance with writing, editing, and design projects.
- Write and edit content for the AFT website as needed.
- Report, write, and edit content for electronic communications, including but not limited to blog posts, action alerts, and special messages.
- Participate in departmental and program meetings (and represent the Director of Publications when necessary) where content ideas and strategies are generated for multiple AFT communications vehicles.
- Proofread and copy edit AFT publications, emails, web pages, blogs, reports, letters, and other content for grammar, style, and appropriateness for targeted internal and external audiences, using AP Style.
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- A passion for writing, storytelling, and the nonprofit mission
- Ability to translate complex concepts and technical writing into easily understood language
- Understanding of deadlines and ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, including diplomacy and the ability to collaborate well with others
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments in a time-sensitive environment
- Good humor to work with diverse personalities in multiple offices
- Knowledge of publication format and editorial practices
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Adobe Suite
- Interest in issues related to farming, conservation, and the environment
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, or a related field
- Minimum of 3-7+ years’ experience in writing/editing, preferably for nonprofits
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below. Please answer the screener questions and be sure to include a cover letter and resume to be considered.
$60,000 – $75,000