We are some of the folk behind Spider-man, Tony Hawk, Lord of the Rings, Twitch Sings, Oddworld, Callisto Protocol, Shrek Super Slam, and dozens of mobile and web games. We believe every member of the team has a voice in what the game should be.
We prioritize community, family, and love-of-gaming over process, crunching, and TPS reports. And maybe that’s what you want too.
We are looking for a writer who is excited about finding new ways in which games can deliver narrative. You’ll help define what narrative means within the studio and how we develop our world. As part of the team your daily responsibilities will include dialogue writing, character and story development, narrative implementation, and collaborating with other departments on narrative elements. You will report to the Narrative Direction of the game, working closely with the rest of the Narrative Team.
Ideally you’ll find a balance between creative writing and technical expertise. This includes writing scripted mission dialogue, pacing out gameplay to help tell the story, and contributing to the narrative vision across departments. This is a collaborative position and will require working with all disciplines within the team to help define how the story integrates with gameplay.
- Develop compelling, engaging, and immersive narrative moments.
- Brainstorm with the Narrative team and the rest of the teams to develop ideas into meaningful and interesting narratives.
- Explore new ways to bring stories and characters to life blending stories with gameplay.
- Work with Narrative Leadership to uphold and advocate for the narrative vision of the game.
- Develop creative, thought-provoking, and captivating storylines for characters and missions.
- Write dialogue that is natural, believable, and reflective of each character’s personality.
- Mentor and assist more Junior Writers on the team.
- Collaborate with designers to create a mission structure that identifies narrative beats and plot lines to support the story.
- Review content regularly to ensure narrative moments are iterated on efficiently.
- Work with Tools teams to improve writing workflows and processes.
- Maintain narrative documentation.
- Have experience with interactive storytelling.
- Experience in open world and non-linear dialogue for games.
- Have shipped games in a writing or narrative design role.
- Work and succeed in a collaborative team environment.
- Knowledge of modern video games.
- Experience working with and in game engines.
- You have previous experience writing for MENA Region Stories/Characters. Knowledge of industry trends and successful intellectual properties.
- Scripting experience with text or visual scripting languages.
- Published written work (novels, short fiction, film, television, comics).
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Free Range Games is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Free Range Games makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Free Range Games participates in E-Verify.