CSuite Content is seeking an In-house Journalist / Senior Writer to add to our team of executive communications experts. We’re a boutique communications agency that works directly with prominent CEOs and high-profile leaders at diverse companies to support their executive thought leadership initiatives — boosting their profiles and advancing their business goals through thoughtful op-eds and articles written in their voices and published in major media outlets, blog posts and social media from their personal channels.
- Op-ed Writing: Craft compelling op-eds and articles of a journalism caliber for top-tier media outlets on behalf of a portfolio of executive clients at different companies. These articles may touch on general business themes (leadership, entrepreneurship, etc.), topical news issues, or specific industry subjects. They must be highly readable and not sound like content marketing or corporate jargon.
- Strategic Guidance and Alignment: In collaboration with an Account Director, develop editorial strategies for CEOs and business leaders — core themes, target audiences, content ideas, target outlets, etc. Ensure that all editorial content advances strategic objectives and is also written in a human, highly readable way.
- Interviewing: Interview CEOs and VPs at leading tech, B2B, retail and consumer companies to download their ideas and inform their stories. Ask thoughtful questions to powerful people and steer the conversation to extract usable, cogent ideas in the most efficient way possible.
- Impeccable Storytelling: Use punchy leads, clear thesis statements, vivid examples and strong stats to tell a clear, must-read story that also incorporates client messaging and objectives. Confidently turn complex, sometimes vague or even contradictory ideas into a concise and readable article.
- Editing: Incorporate revisions from client teams and other stakeholders into your drafts, knowing when to gracefully accept edits and when to push back to preserve the integrity of your draft. Also, edit social media updates drafted by CSuite’s social team on behalf of clients.
- Optimizing Copy: Generate catchy headlines, decks and subheads for your articles, with an understanding of what readers and editors will click on. Effectively balance substance and research with readability and clickability.
- Pitching: Occasionally pitch articles to target media outlets and/or identify appropriate channels for publication (blogs, paid opportunities, etc.).
- Idea Development and Research: Brainstorm content ideas for articles and op-eds that align with client goals. Stay up to date on the latest business and industry trends for clients and find a way to map client content to them.
- Client Relations: In collaboration with an Account Director, develop a strong, ongoing relationship as a trusted editorial advisor for your clients. Connect with client teams on a regular basis to update on the progress of their editorial program, as well as to download ideas for future articles. (Some experience in a corporate context is valuable.)
- Reporting and Project Management: Ensure drafts are completed in a timely manner, using persistence and creativity to secure approvals and feedback from busy executives. Track the progress of your drafts and report to CSuite team on a regular basis, in weekly meetings and on Slack.
- Postsecondary degree in journalism, comms, creative writing or related field.
- Availability during North American working hours, either Eastern Time or Pacific Time.
- Min. 4+ years of experience in a journalism context, ideally business or feature writing, including interviewing, researching and editing.
- Must have strong published clips of articles you’ve written or ghostwritten.
- Exceptional narrative writing skills, coupled with strong analytical ability.
- 1-2 years corporate communications or marketing experience is helpful — ideally at the strategic level (developing strategies, not just writing content); ghostwriting a plus.
- Proven abilities as both a substantive and copy editor — able to weave multiple priorities into a single, compelling piece of content, while preserving tone and readability.
- Media pitching experience.
- Experience working with corporate clients or in a business context, with a confident client-facing demeanor.
- Strategic mindset: able to identify client business goals and align content efforts accordingly.
- Egoless: You take pride in your writing but are very comfortable with feedback and understand the importance of meeting client goals.
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven: You’re able to keep track of multiple writing projects at the same time, and deliver drafts on time in the face of obstacles.
- Analytical thinker: You’re able to wrestle with complex topics in a systematic way and are intellectually nimble enough to dive into new subject areas with confidence.
- Commitment: You’re looking for a full-time position that you can grow with (not a side hustle or contract role).
What We’re NOT Looking For
- Content mill writers who are used to cranking out quick blog posts.
- Content marketers with limited journalism training or experience.
- SEO/sales-oriented writers.
- Freelancers looking for another side hustle.
- Flexibility: since inception, we’ve been a remote agency, with robust systems for working in a decentralized environment.
- Wellness benefits include access to a generous personal health spending account.
- Network: the opportunity to work with some of the world’s top business leaders as an trusted advisor, helping them craft and share personal and business stories that drive results.
- Impact: you’ll get to help shape and communicate the vision of some of the most innovative companies and the people who run them.
- No Drama Culture: you’ll work with a small, ambitious and very smart group of people, in a highly-collaborative environment, learning and growing with them.
- Growth: we’re looking to build WITH people and are open to deepening our relationship with the right candidate.
Terms and Compensation
- This position is a full-time role. We’re based in Vancouver, BC, but the role can be done remotely, as long as you are available during our business hours. Compensation is commensurate with experience, from $75,000-$100,000.
- To apply, please share a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, as well as your resume. IMPORTANT: Please send links to 3-5 samples of your best published writing (either with your byline or as a ghostwriter) that reflects your ability to do this work.