Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
For The Win, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of Senior Writer.
The ideal candidate should be an experienced writer and blogger with a track record of producing engaging, high-quality content across multiple platforms. This person should feel comfortable at the intersection of sports and internet with a deep understanding of what will resonate with FTW’s readers and grow our audience. Proven social/SEO expertise is a must. An emphasis in NFL coverage is strongly preferred as working Sundays during NFL season will be required. This position will report directly to FTW’s Managing Editor.
- Write FTW’s daily column/newsletter, Morning Win.
- Produce several pieces of content per day in the sports and pop culture spaces.
- Consistent awareness of what’s trending in sports and pop culture and the ability to identify opportunities to turn those conversations into content.
- Workshop search and social headlines with the staff.
- Occasionally read and perform basic edits on other writers’ posts.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of experience as a writer for a national outlet, preferably in the digital space.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule as needed to accommodate our publishing schedule and event coverage.
- Passion for sports and sports culture.
- A thorough understanding of FTW’s voice and how it should translate across all platforms.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $51,300 and $120,750. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.