Tech Desk Editor
Title: Tech Desk Editor
Location: San Francisco, New York, or Remote
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We’ll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
BuzzFeed News is hiring an Editor to lead its award-winning Tech and Business Desk.
This editor will be responsible for shaping the vision and coverage of a crucial desk at one of the most dynamic and influential newsrooms in the world. BuzzFeed News’ tech reporters have won the Mirror, Livingston, Polk, and Pulitzer prizes.
Our goal is to produce revelatory journalism that produces real-world impact, while maintaining a sense of humor. The tech desk is uniquely capable of reporting that can change policy, shape public discourse, and expose wrongdoers, and also tap into the joy, weirdness, and wonder of the internet.
We cover Tech for a mainstream audience, with a focus on Millennial and Gen Z readers people who have grown up with smartphones, understand that algorithms surround their daily lives, and know what an NFT is. The Tech editor will drive coverage that meets our internet and tech-obsessed audience where they’re at and also inform readers about tech ideas and spaces they know little about. Our coverage of tech is not only about the big platforms or the tech industry, but its intersection with politics, money, and culture, and the editor should be excited to pursue those stories. There’s a wide leeway for what constitutes tech and business story on this desk, with lots of flexibility and creativity.
This is a leadership role on a team with the highest goals and the mandate and resources to pursue them to the limits. The editor will be responsible for the big-picture vision for the desk, setting coverage priorities, guiding reporters, encouraging them to take their biggest swings, driving innovation, hiring blazing new talent, and working with newsroom leadership to identify and develop new opportunities for the desk.
You will manage a team of reporters based across the country and around the world. Your location is negotiable.
- Manage and edit a team of reporters in multiple time zones, helping them to sharpen story angles, tighten writing, develop their voice, and establish themselves as known and trusted names in the industry
- Work with legal to bulletproof articles before publication
- Work with other newsroom editors to facilitate collaboration across desks on big tech-related stories
- Recruit and develop new talent
- Work closely with the News Curation team that runs our audience strategy to make sure articles are optimized for search and social
- Conceive and execute on opportunities for the desk to contribute to the overall BuzzFeed News business, such as special packages or product recommendations
- A record of high-impact work on breaking news, enterprise coverage, investigative reporting, or feature writing
- A knack for identifying ideas that can make a tangible impact on the world
- Broad knowledge of the tech industry and how it shapes the world
- A deep understanding of how to craft stories to reach a wide audience
- Appreciation of a diversity of voices across stories and a love of rigorous reporting, vivid narratives, and human stories.
- The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, with an eagerness to experiment with new formats and platforms. They should be hungry to understand and connect with our audience, whether through traditional articles, Reels, push notifications, TikToks, newsletters, or any of the other ways that our journalism reaches people.