Teaching and Learning Strategist
Teaching & Learning Strategist
R 2022 455
Essential Job Duties:
With general guidance, provide vision and management for online faculty development, including determining appropriate support, resources, programming and training opportunities to facilitate faculty professional growth at National University (NU) and its Affiliates. Delivers continuous improvement through a diverse range of faculty development programs designed to support online teaching and learning. Lead faculty to champion pedagogically sound and successful use of technology for online instruction through faculty training and development, instructional support and administration of key services. Facilitates projects related to University-wide initiatives sustaining teaching, learning, technology and student success. Contributes to an environment of innovation, collaboration and teaching excellence with a genuine interest in appropriately communicating principles of applicable instruction to educators with a wide range of technical skills.
- Provides strategic vision and leadership for online faculty development as well as professional development for learning technologies by designing, implementing and assessing comprehensive programs for faculty development and educational collaboration.
- Partners closely with faculty, administrators and staff to design, implement and evaluate programs serving a diverse faculty across NU including learning pedagogy, technology integration and professional development for faculty teaching online courses.
- Imparts leadership to faculty in the development and implementation of a variety of pedagogical techniques to support the development and coordination of instructional strategies including Team-Based Learning, Problem-Based Learning, Universal Design for Learning, andragogy, facilitation of student engagement and other active learning techniques.
- Builds a diverse portfolio of workshops and programs for online faculty, ranging from workshops, series, seminars, just-in-time training, online interactive tools, videos, self- paced interactive eLearning modules and events relevant to online teaching.
- Designs instructional materials such as online courses, e-Learning modules, job aids, video aids, webinars, lesson plans, course checklists and facilitation guides
- Curates and disseminates outside professional resources and articles to faculty.
- Conducts marketing and outreach to publicize events and services using email invitations, website registrations, and LMS messages.
- Sustains professional development website, Google calendar, and other online organizational tools like Basecamp with event calendar, announcements and online teaching resources including an active calendar of faculty development activities and events.
- Develops communication strategies and email campaigns to promote best practices, tips of the day, research findings, faculty case studies and trends.
- Facilitates faculty development programs including workshops, webinars, conferences, seminars, guest speakers and training programs.
- Plans, directs and manages all projects and events for faculty development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in Education, Instructional Design, Education Technology, Adult Literacy, Curriculum & Instruction or related field, required; and, three (3) years’ experience in the development and facilitation of training and/or professional development in higher education or corporate setting, required; and;
- Online teaching at a post-secondary level, required; to include:
- Two (2) years’ experience with online course creation and hosting platforms such as Brightspace D2L, Blackboard, Canvas, or Moodle with strong project management skills; or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to participate as an active team member of the Business Unit, Department and University to work toward a common goal.
Actively seeks opportunities to influence, build effective relationships and gain alignment with peers, functional partners and/or external partners to accomplish business objectives.
Accepts personal accountability, proactively seeks resolution for personal limitations head-on; and supports honesty and respect towards others, the company and oneself.
Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting-edge programs and processes. Ability to generate and/or recognize imaginative or creative solutions that generate successful outcomes.
Expert knowledge and awareness of trends, methods and technological advances in the industry and profession. Solid experience in academic planning, assessment, accreditation and certification, preferred. Knowledge and experience working in adult education in the academic and training environment.
Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in applying instructional design and technology principles, processes and best practices in implementing faculty development events and activities in a higher education setting.
Excellent project management skill, with the ability to set and fulfill priorities with demonstrated strong time management capabilities.
Knowledge of current research, learning theory, best practices, and standards of excellence in providing professional development and education to adult learners and college faculty.
Ability to conduct research through a variety of methods. Strong organizational abilities with strong attention to detail, follow-up and follow-through as well as project management skills.
Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate interactive synchronous and asynchronous training and webinars.
Expert level of digital literacy & fluency, including the ability to adopt new technologies and learn new tools quickly.
Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in support of eLearning technologies, online pedagogy and skill development is essential.
Strong interpersonal skills and consultative skills with ability to work successfully with a wide range of individual of constituencies in a diverse community. Ability to communicate successfully both orally and in writing.
Communicates effectively, listens sensitively, adapts communication to audience and fosters effective communication with others. Demonstrates the ability to be consistently open, honest and candid when communicating with others.
Ability to provide excellent positive customer service across an organizational structure and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with tact and discretion. Ability to prioritize time-critical assignments.
Work independently and foster a cooperative spirit within a large and/or small team of diverse cultures, while working in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines and frequently changing priorities.
Advanced use of Microsoft Office Suite Applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and software used in Learning Management Systems (LMS). Strong knowledge of internet terms, technologies and protocols.