Full-Time Strategic People Partner
Title: Strategic People Partner
One platform, a whole world of opportunity
Right now, the best jobs are limited to people in a handful of the world’s wealthiest cities, yet brilliant people are everywhere. Driven to overturn the status quo and distribute opportunities equally around the world, Oyster launched its global employment platform to help companies hire, pay, and care for talent anywhere.
When it comes to global employment, we walk the walk. We’re proof that companies don’t need an office to create a highly-engaged culture. Since the company’s inception in January 2020, Oyster has:
Created a fully-distributed, vibrant team of 500+ employees across 60+ countries
Established a diverse leadership team and an employee base that’s 60% female
Achieved one of the highest employee engagement scores in its class
Raised $150 million in Series C funding at a valuation of over $1 billion!
Our momentum speaks to the power of global employment and we’re just getting started! If you want to change the world with Oyster and be empowered to work remotely while doing so, we’d love for you to apply!
Location: While this position is posted in a specific location, all of Oyster’s positions are fully remote, and you can work from home. Forever. To create the best experience for our new hire this role requires that you be based between +3 / -5 UTC.
We believe that good leaders create a culture of trust, respect, and collaboration, leading to higher engagement and retention. Strong leadership is essential for Oyster’s success across a diverse and complex landscape, and we’re looking for a Strategic People Partner to join our team to work closely with leadership across the organization.
- In this role, you will work closely with senior leaders across Oyster to identify, develop, and enhance key leadership capabilities so that they can best support their teams.
- You will work with people of all skill levels, from first-time managers to those more seasoned, and help people managers around the world build a consistent culture of enablement, trust, and togetherness.
- A big part of this role will be coaching and advising Leaders and managers to be the best they can be at People Leadership.
- You will also be responsible for advising Managers on intricate and complex HR and employee relations issues, including PIPs, investigations, etc.
- This role requires strong executive presence and comfort in leading and influencing at all levels.
- This role will report directly to the VP of People and be part of Oyster’s People team.
What you’ll do
- Strategic People Leadership: As the main point of contact for senior leaders at Oyster, you will hold a position of significant influence within our organization. You will independently streamline People interactions and drive consistent People messaging across the entirety of our organization. You will guide strategic business decisions and be accountable for the execution of decisions and changes.
- Organisational Design: Work closely with Department Heads and cross-functional teams to assess and provide guidance on optimizing the team and the company’s organizational structure, with a focus on strategic goal alignment and improving operational efficiency.
- Employee Relations Leadership: As the key driver of employee relations, you will autonomously handle and resolve employee relations matters with a balanced and fair approach, maintaining a harmonious working environment. This includes conducting investigations and partnering with our Legal team to minimize potential risks.
- Leadership Development and Enablement: You will guide, support, and train managers on leadership principles, employee programs, and internal processes, as well as tools to drive efficient and empathetic management. In addition, you will partner with L&D to develop training programs to enable and enhance our Manager’s capabilities.
- Develop and Manage Performance Process: You will refine our current PIP process and offer independent guidance and support in the development, implementation, and delivery of PIPs, ensuring they are locally compliant and aligned with Oyster’s values. You will also work closely with Managers to oversee the effective execution of PIPs, with a strong emphasis on compliance, fairness, clarity, and the human element. This includes advising and influencing Managers on country-specific performance requirements and obligations.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: You will partner with various teams within Oyster, including People Experience, HR Advisory, Employee Vendor Management, and Legal, to ensure a consistent and aligned approach to People processes and policies.
- People Programs and Strategic Initiatives: In partnership with People Experience and through consistent feedback loops from the business, you will support developing and implementing strategic people programs.
What we’re looking for…
- Minimum of 7 years of People and Business Partner experience in dynamic, fast-paced organizations.
- Organizational design expertise including experience partnering with leaders through significant org design changes.
- Proven success at developing strong trusting relationships to gain support and achieve results.
- Significant experience partnering with globally distributed teams across time zones.
- Easily builds trust with stakeholders by being open and transparent, and always following through.
- Deep knowledge of HR programs and practices, coaching and facilitation, and performance management and employee relations.
- Comfortable navigating a fast-changing environment and managing change in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong communication skills and executive presence. Able to clearly communicate complex topics both verbally and in writing.
You’ll also need…
- A reliable home internet connection (or be able to get one)
- Fluent English language skills
How we work together at Oyster
Our values guide the work we do, the decisions we make, and the culture that makes us special. We elevate talent. We build trust. We thrive together.
Our mission is to create a more equal world one global hire at a time. Everything we do ladders up to our mission and that doesn’t just mean building software. We develop programs, participate in workshops, and create dedicated teams to ensure we successfully support companies and knowledge workers in this new world of work.
We embrace asynchronous communication and collaborative work and we share how we work in the Oyster Public HQ to help other global teams learn from our experiences.
How YOU work
Different countries have different statutory benefits, different cultures have different norms, and different people have different needs! In order to best support and encourage our diverse team, we’ve created How YOU Work; a program of policies, practices, and perks to support your whole human experience as an employee at Oyster.
- Work from anywhere: Oyster is a borderless, HQ-less company. As long as your work gets done on time, your team has the support they need, and you’re authorized to work where you live, the world is truly your Oyster.
- Paid time off: We’re all about taking breaks we all need it. Oyster provides employees with 40 days off each year, which includes public/bank holidays and vacation/holiday leave (unless your country mandates more).
- Mental health support: We consider your mental health a top priority. We offer access to Plumm, a mental well-being service, to support your mental health.
- Wellbeing allowance: Each month, Oyster will top up your Juno wallet with a wellbeing allowance. Juno Points can be applied to anything that helps you show up to work as your best self, whether that’s your internet bill, a class, gym membership, or houseplants. The choices are endless!
- Flexible parental leave: Families are created in lots of different ways. Our parental leave policy applies to all employees who are becoming parents, regardless of how they become a parent. Oysters are eligible for a minimum of three months of paid parental leave and your job will be held for 12 months (or longer if required by local jurisdiction).
- WFH stipend: $3000 stipend to spend on your laptop and any other equipment you need for your home office; we’ll get you up and running in no time!
The best jobs should be available to everyone
At Oyster, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences and we’ve intentionally built our product and our company with an inclusive, global mindset. We know from experience that people from underrepresented groups often don’t apply for roles they don’t feel they meet all the criteria for. We’re committed to elevating talent by creating a trust-based environment where we can all thrive together. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily check every single box, please consider applying. We’d love to hear how you might contribute to our mission and our team.
Oyster is committed to ensuring equal opportunity of employment for qualified persons with disabilities and actively fosters an inclusive work environment. If you require reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process, please email email@example.com with the subject line: Interview Accommodations.
Our available positions are published on our careers page and should you be invited to interview with us, our recruitment team will only ever contact you directly from an @oysterhr.com email address. We will never ask you to send us money as part of a job offer. If you receive a suspicious email relating to opportunities at Oyster from any other email domain where someone is claiming to be a part of our recruitment team, or are directed to anywhere other than www.oysterhr.com/careers to view our available jobs we encourage you to submit a report through our Compliance and Ethics Helpline.