Staff Software Engineer
Title: Staff Software Engineer, Observability
Location: San Francisco, CA
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb’s various functions embody the company’s innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Observability team’s mission is to provide Airbnb engineers the ability to easily gain insights into system behavior in a complex, rapidly-evolving, distributed environment, and use the insight to deliver a highly available and performant service to Airbnb hosts, guests, and other stakeholders. We are building our next-generation Observability platform on top of industry standard, open-source frameworks. We aim to unify the tools to collect, process, store, and analyze large volumes of telemetry data in real time. You will closely work with a group of accomplished engineers and with open-source technology, and report to the Senior Engineering Manager, Infrastructure.
- Design, implement, and operate resilient and scalable distributed systems that processes billions of events per minute
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code, using and contributing to open source
- Help Airbnb engineers self-solve issues and share best practices for building observable applications
- Technical mentorship and direction setting for the team
- Degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of industry experience.
- Expertise and/or interest in:
- Metrics Frameworks: Prometheus, Cortex, Grafana
- Logging: Elasticsearch, Logstash, Filebeat, Kibana
- Distributed Tracing: OpenTelemetry, OpenTracing, Jaeger
- Profiling: JVM, go pprof
- Cloud-Native technologies: Kubernetes, Docker, Istio, AWS
- Automated correlation and anomaly detection
- Site performance tracking and management
- Building robust distributed systems that can be depended on to troubleshoot our production system
- Experience leading engineering project teams and working with cross functional partners to build technical solutions that achieve team and organizational goal
This position is US – Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb, Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $190,000 and $245,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Belonging & Accommodations
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All quali;ied individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.