Full-Time Sports Trending News Editor ($95k)
Title: Sports Trending News Editor
Location: US National
USA TODAY Sports, part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking candidate to lead its digital operation and trending news desk. The ideal candidate is an innovative and strategic leader with a track record demonstrating audience growth who possesses excellent news judgment and prioritizes communication and collaboration.
This position is remote and can be based anywhere in the US, except for Alaska and Hawaii or based at our headquarters in McLean, VA. If you live near one of our local newsrooms, you may have the option to use that as a base of operations.
Job Level: Manager, Content
Minimum salary: $95,000
- Lead a team responsible for trending and breaking news, programming and alerts, and live coverage strategy, especially during tentpole national sports events.
- Identifies and assigns top national news stories of the day and looks for opportunities to turn quick enterprise stories that advance the news.
- Manages a team of reporters, editors and producers with a sense of purpose and commitment to excellent journalism.
- Works closely with analytics to help determine audience habits and how we can best serve them on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Edits content under tight deadlines, directs staff in breaking news situations and writes compelling headlines that engage a national audience.
- Coordinates with the other USA TODAY sections and third-party content partners on the promotion and sharing of content across all platforms.
- Conceptualizes and prepares coverage plans for tentpole events, working withreporters and editors from brainstorm to execution.
- Bachelor’s in communications, journalism, digital media or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 7 years of experience working in a news organization.
- Proven track record demonstrating tactics and strategy used in growing a national sports audience.
- Ability to identify stories that sports fans around the country are talking about and how to leverage staff expertise to differentiate in competitive marketplace.
- Strong news judgment, great communication skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced news environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to producing and promoting journalism that is impactful and authoritative.
- Experience using analytics to help shape coverage decisions and story execution.
- Ability to lead and collaborate on projects across newsroom departments and the USA TODAY Network.
- Commitment to diversity in reflecting the communities we cover.
- Ability to coach team members in latest optimization best practices, especially in search.
- A proven record of helping reporters and editors achieve short and long-term career goals.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $95,000.00 and $105,800.00. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
34 total views, 1 today