Full-Time Sourcing and Meeting Manager
Sourcing & Meeting Manager
United States – Virtual Location
job requisition id
Amex GBT is a place where colleagues find inspiration in travel as a force for good and through their work can make an impact on our industry. We’re here to help our colleagues achieve success and offer an inclusive and collaborative culture where your voice is valued.
Ready to explore a career path? Start your journey.
Sourcing & Meeting Manager
Basic Purpose: Develop and expand the project account relationship by providing comprehensive expertise and leadership to GBT and to major clients, through the sourcing and planning of programs, providing client and team consultation, support and training, and running special projects. To function as primary client liaison and lead for assigned programs. Handle corporate meetings and events through the implementation of strategy and negotiations, sourcing, contracting, delivery of objectives, and execution of logistics. Work closely with client contact to understand and meet program objectives/outcomes.
Reporting and Working Relationships: Reports to Team Leader. Working relationship with clients and third-party suppliers.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in the meetings & events industry.
- A minimum of 2 years professional experience sourcing and negotiating terms and conditions for hotel meeting & event contracts.
- CVENT sourcing experience.
PROCESS MANAGEMENT: 30%
- Review meeting request and conducts meeting qualification call with client.
- Develop and implement program and profit/negotiation strategy to achieve the best price and/or improvement consideration with suppliers, supporting the specific needs of the client.
- Apply knowledge of domestic and international destinations to recommend appropriate sites. Maintain knowledge of new destination options, value-priced destination options and promotional offerings.
- Gather all the information vital to accurately source and place an event on behalf of a client, including standard availability grids from designated technology tool.
- Initiate RFP process to secure appropriate room blocks, logistical event needs, and pricing from hotels and other suppliers.
- Qualify proposals to determine if appropriate and competitive.
- Negotiate and confirm critical program components with supplier(s) and team, using basic terms and conditions, and/or modifying pre-existing master policies to meet individual client requirements.
- Review all supplier contracts prior to finalization, ensure both program specific and generic terms and conditions are accurate and legally protective of both American Express M&E and the client, including attrition dates, cancellation policies, etc. Use appropriate authorization and addendum form to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Conduct final negotiations with selected suppliers for the best possible pricing and concessions to meet savings and spend expectations.
- Provide supplier with all appropriate documentation at sale notification including itinerary, supplier contracts, etc.
- Build meeting records in the designated meeting management system and complete all internal documentation for the program prior to turnover.
- May participate in program re-negotiations or cancellation negotiations, as required.
- Achieve appropriate benchmarking metrics as per client or company requirement.
- Completes project timeline, establishes a workflow schedule with client and suppliers to facilitate prompt and accurate handling of all program details.
- Handles any hotel needs, destination management company (DMC), air and third-party contracts. Monitors attrition dates, cancellation policies and ensures contracted services are implemented.
- Communicates between Web Builder and clients with respect to web requirements on assigned programs.
- Coordinates and may attend site inspections as needed.
- Partners with designated team to communicate registration and air needs, status meetings and continuous communication throughout program.
- Coordinates all program details and produces a program itinerary / working agenda that outlines all program specifics and requirements.
- May conduct program debrief with client.
- Works with accounting to complete final bill, reviews and reconciles final billing prior to final invoicing to client.
- Onsite event execution.
- Ensures consistency of client branding guidelines.
- Maintains accurate records, system input, and complete file management as outlined in GBT and client policies and procedures.
- Evaluates program impact and reassesses objectives and outcomes; plan for continuous improvement.
- Able to assist with any level of event including those of a sophisticated nature, large volume, high level of confidentiality, international scope, etc.
- Outlines strategy, communication plan, and process for assigned programs.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: 25%
- Handles overall program budget, reviews and audits all program related billing for accuracy.
- Tracks and reports expenses to clients and communicates changes to them on a consistent basis.
- Is responsible for documentation of negotiated savings by client.
LEADERSHIP AND RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: 30%
- Provides leadership to team and promotes positive team environment as a positive role model.
- Works closely with client on a day-to-day basis to ensure program objectives are performed.
- Maintains proactive, positive, open line of communication with client to ensure understanding of expectations and client satisfaction.
- Acts as lead, communicates program requirements to team as needed; works closely with support departments to exceed client requirements and objectives.
- Partners with third party suppliers to arrange their services.
- Conducts regularly scheduled status meetings with client and stakeholders from pre-launch through program operation.
- May be requested to lead VIP special projects and supervise VIP logistics.
- Develops strategic partnerships with multiple contacts within client and supplier organizations.
- Acts as an extension of the sales team and as sole GBT representative during site inspections and program operations.
- Leads special projects as assigned by the leaders.
- Participate in client presentations as requested.
- Provide back-up support for leaders.
- Review processes and develop new SOP’s as needed.
- Communicate leads and assist with costing, proposals, letters of agreement, and deliverables on renewal business for the account, i.e. destination expertise and budget development.
- Holds self and others accountable for business results.
- May assist with on boarding of new employees.
- Works on special projects as assigned by the Director or Operations Manager.
- May require travel to destinations worldwide, in support of client site inspections and/or program operations. There is an inherent risk associated with all travel, often as a result of extraordinary circumstances. Therefore, during an emergency, it is your duty to provide the necessary guidance and leadership, and to promote the safety of the client, travel participants and other GBT employees by implementing or supporting prescribed crisis procedures.
- Keep abreast of industry standards and trends related to responsibilities.
- Minimum of five to seven years experience in meeting management/hotel procurement required.
- CVENT experience required.
- Consistent track record to promote change and efficiencies within an organization.
- Must speak English fluently. Oral and written presentation skills required.
- Consistent track record to understand and suggest technology solutions to business partners.
- Ability to travel by airplane, boat, rail and/or car 25-35% of the time.
- Consistent track record in developing budgets and implementing costing strategies.
- Extensive domestic destination knowledge required, international a plus.
- Prior successful experience in developing, managing, and maintaining key client and supplier relationships.
- Prior experience being consultative with clients.
- CMP designation a plus.
- Prior experience in effectively handle multiple projects/demands.
- Solid understanding of program/event management.
- College degree preferred.
- Confirmed skills for technology and/or software solutions and analytical skills required.
MS EXCEL – INTERMEDIATE – Required
MS OUTLOOK ADVANCED – Required
MS POWERPOINT – INTERMEDIATE – Required
MS WORD – INTERMEDIATE – Required
WINDOWS – INTERMEDIATE – Required
Ability to Learn and Analyze
Adaptability & Resourcefulness
Judgment & Decisiveness
Planning & Organizing
Tolerance For Stress
United States – Virtual Location
The US national annual base salary range for this position is from $46,000 to $93,000. The national range provided includes the base salary that GBT expects to pay for the role. Actual base salary will be based on factors including the scope and complexity of the role and the successful candidate’s relevant experience, skills, knowledge, and work location.
In addition to base salary, this role is eligible for an annual Performance Based Incentive, which rewards participants based on company performance. For information about our comprehensive US benefits programs and eligibility, please review our Benefits-at-a-Glance document.
GBT 2023 Benefits-at-a-Glance
The #TeamGBT Experience
Work and life: Find your happy medium at Amex GBT.
- Flexible benefits are tailored to each country and start the day you do. These include health and welfare insurance plans, retirement programs, parental leave, adoption assistance, and more.
- Travel perks: get a choice of deals each week from major travel providers on everything from flights to hotels to cruises and car rentals.
- Develop the skills you want when the time is right for you, with global tuition assistance, access to over 20,000 courses on our learning platform, leadership courses, and new job openings available to internal candidates first.
- We strive to champion Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in every aspect of our business at GBT. You can connect with colleagues through our global Inclusion Groups, centered around common identities or initiatives, to discuss challenges, obstacles, achievements, and drive company awareness and action.
- Wellbeing resources to support mental and emotional health for you and your immediate family.
- And much more!
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to age, gender identity (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status, citizenship or marital status. It is our policy to maintain an equal-opportunity environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias for our candidates, colleagues, clients and suppliers.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. Please, let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the hiring process. For more details, please consult GBT Recruitment Privacy Statement.
What if I don’t meet every requirement? If you’re passionate about our mission and believe you’d be a phenomenal addition to our team, don’t worry about checking every box;” please apply anyway. You may be exactly the person we’re looking for!