Software Quality Engineer
Title: Software Quality Engineer
Location: Remote, United States
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Checkr is looking for an experienced Software Quality Engineer to join the Adjudication Platform Team.
This team has a unique ability to significantly impact the Checkr mission of Fair Chance Hiring; some of our products include Candidate Stories, the first product in the market that gave candidates an avenue to voice their side of the story in a background check, and Assess, which was awarded Fast Company’s Winner in the AI and Data category as part of their 2021 World Changing Ideas Awards.
- Serve as our team’s expert and guide for ensuring our team implements quality best practices
- Help define testing strategies, QA workflows, quality metrics, and heuristics for evaluating the right kind and amount of test coverage, prudently balancing risk against resource costs
- Perform manual QA on features, explore edge cases thoroughly, and document bugs you find
- Review testing code written by other engineers, and provide useful feedback on best practices for improvement
- Support our Implementation team with understanding and using our staging environments
- Work with engineers to investigate production issues, and perform root cause analysis
- Participate in the team’s Agile ceremonies (Standup, Retro, Planning, etc.)
- 4+ years of experience as a Software Quality Engineer or related role
- Basic proficiency in Ruby, Python, or a similar programming language
- Extensive previous experience with both performing manual QA/testing and writing automated tests
- Experience and comfort with both automated unit testing and end-to-end testing
- Experience working with microservice architecture, and are familiar with using mocked responses
- Understanding of how the web works – can dive into HTTP and API design and have solid experience building and testing web applications.
- Comfort with both working independently as well as pairing with software engineers or other quality engineers
- Skills of a team player who can work with product and engineering in developing detailed test plans and test cases
- Inclination to troubleshoot issues and enjoyment digging into the root cause of a problem
- A strong sense of ownership with an eagerness to learn, improve, and innovate
- Worked at a startup
- Connection to our social mission / Fair Chance Hiring
- Knowledge of any of these, or similar, technologies: Selenium, Nightwatch.js, RSpec, Cypress
- Familiarity with Docker
- Experience with Gitlab CI
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. The salary range for this role is $72,267 to $150,420.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.