Full-Time SOCIAL MEDIA ASSOCIATE
SOCIAL MEDIA ASSOCIATE
Online Team Remote, United States
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, D.C.
Earthjustice is seeking a Social Media Associate to join its Communications team. This position is responsible for devising and executing the organization’s social media (SM) strategies. Major responsibilities include daily management and postings to key SM accounts, in particular, Twitter/X, Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, and Threads; including active SM engagement and monitoring of conversations with supporters and influencers; design of SM graphics and visuals; development of SM strategies to support the goals of Communications and other departments; tracking, analysis, and reporting of SM metrics, and experimentation and evaluation of new SM tools.
Daily Management of Social Media Accounts (60%)
- Create daily social media content, process social media requests, and adapt rapid-fire communication tactics for organization’s social media channels, in particular Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Monitor breaking news and coordinate rapid responses on social media with Program Communications. Work on call after hours and weekends to provide guidance and create content for rapid response moments in cases of emergency.
- Work with Communications, Development, and Program staff to manage social media calendar, including coordination and scheduling of major advocacy campaigns.
- Engage with supporters on SM when warranted, including answering questions, driving comments, and guiding discussions.
Development of Social Media Strategies (30%)
- Participate in Creative team and Communication meetings to generate ideas for storytelling and content creation.
- Work with the Marketing team to research and build lists of influencers for outreach on major campaigns and initiatives.
- Work with the Digital Fundraising and Engagement team to implement organic and paid promotional strategies for major fundraising campaigns.
- Work with the Graphic Design team to create social media posting templates for production
- Work with the Program Comms team to implement paid promotional strategies for advocacy purposes.
- Work with Program Comms teams to map out distinct priorities and coalesce into a broader schedule/calendar.
- Monitor trends of peer organizations and general social media to look at environmental news trends, stylistic trends, and platform trends (especially as more platforms like Threads and Bluesky gain popularity).
Evaluation and Metrics (10%)
- Use data tools and platforms to identify and track key performance metrics.
- Compile reports on best-performing social media posts; make strategic recommendations to improve our program.
- Stay informed on the latest social media trends and share knowledge with wider Communications team.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) with a major in communications, design, computer science, marketing, political science, or environmental studies preferred.
- Experience with marketing, communications, design and advocacy a plus.
- In-depth experience managing organizational social media accounts, especially Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Strong familiarity with other SM platforms, such as Reddit and Twitch.
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to plan and execute a variety of complicated projects. Strong attention to details a must.
- Excellent writing skills, especially in translating long-form narrative into shorter, impactful pieces of storytelling and script writing. Sense of humor, spontaneity, and creativity is a must.
- Strong command of visual design and typography, including strong photo selection and photo-editing skills; adept at Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere.
- Video editing and short form video shooting experience. On camera experience is a plus.
- Ability to work quickly and productively in a team and in an open work environment.
- Thorough command of Microsoft Office products, including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY: $73,400 – $81,500
Salary range in Seattle, WA, Washington, D.C, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, Honolulu, HI: $69,800 – $77,500
Salary range in Denver, CO, Philadelphia, PA, Anchorage, AK, Juneau, AK: $66,100 – $73,400
Salary range in Miami & Tallahassee, FL, New Orleans, LA, Bozeman, MT: $62,400 – $69,300
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter
Please reach out firstname.lastname@example.org you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.