Full-Time SEO and Updates Editor ($65k)
SEO & Updates Editor
Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded media and technology company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, unique experiences, and product solutions. Blavity Inc. has evolved into a market leader for Black media, reaching 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity, Blavity360º, Shadow & Act, AfroTech & Talent Infusion, 21Ninety, Travel Noire, and Home & Texture. Our Blavity, Inc. employee community is composed of passionate, energetic, and culturally conscious individuals working together to deliver value to each other, the company, and our clients. We are always searching for new additions to our community that will help us continue to scale, contribute meaningfully to our culture, and advance our strategic direction.
Blavity Inc. is looking for an SEO & Updates Editor to help execute on our content strategy. This position is for a full time employee who will be responsible for maintaining and expanding our library of evergreen content, identifying new areas of opportunities for search, as well as ensuring that every article is well structured and optimized for search. The ideal candidate has digital publishing experience, great writing skills, an eye for detail and the ability to perform keyword and competitive research for editorial brands.
This role will report directly to the SEO, Associate Director.
- Write and manage a team of writers
- Copy edit and review written articles to ensure that content follows SEO best practices, is structured and well optimized for search performance
- Perform competitor analysis, SERP analysis and keyword research to identify content gaps and areas of opportunity
- Manage the evergreen content update process, inclusive of but not limited to, scouring our content library for evergreen opportunities, providing update notes and tracking updated content as needed
- Ideate SEO content ideas to editorial stakeholders
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness of SEO strategies and make data-driven recommendations for improvement
- Stay up-to-date on new industry trends and Google’s web standards, and communicate them to stakeholders as needed
- Support SEO editorial projects as needed
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Required Experience:
- At least 2 years of experience working in editorial (and organic search) at a digital media publication
- Passion for digital publishing, SEO, and content strategy
- Familiarity with competitive SEO tools (Semrush, Google Trends); Google Search Console and Google Analytics is a plus
- 2+ years experience using WordPress (or other content management systems) to author, publish, and edit content.
- An online writing portfolio demonstrating exemplary writing, editing and SEO skills.
- Preferred Experience:
- 2+ years writing to acquire customers via Google Search.
- Proficient with keyword research, on-page SEO, and content marketing best practices.
- Technologies: Fluent in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Asana, and WordPress CMS
- Additional Qualifications:
- Excellent organization and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a positive and can-do approach.
- Comfortable performing research to ensure our information is accurate and as useful to readers as possible.
- Independent, entrepreneurial self-starter who is comfortable taking on a high level of responsibility.
- Motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills; willing to wear multiple hats.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest SEO trends and algorithms and adjust content accordingly.
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture.
- This is a fully remote role, U.S.- based role. Occasional travel may be required.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Candidates must be available to work in alignment with the Eastern Time Zone.
- The annual salary for this role is $65,000.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.
Blavity is committed to creating a diverse environment free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Blavity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, HIV Status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.