Full-Time Senior Software Engineer ($144k to $185k)
Title: Senior Software Engineer – Backend
Location: United States (remote)
Are you a seasoned backend developer excited to design and build the future of Apollo’s product platform to support major worldwide customers, including Netflix and Expedia, to name a few. Does the prospect of working on a team that is mission critical to every Apollo product launch excite you? Are you passionate about working on resilient distributed services that allow all engineering teams to do their best and most creative work? Then keep reading!
In this role, you will play a critical role in building and maintaining reliable internal services for usage-based billing infrastructure, graphql-based permissions, platform CLI tools, and much more. You’ll harden and grow our critical business microservices in a way that appeals to internal and external developers. You are passionate about building foundational systems, enjoy evolving core data models, and event-driven architectures. You will be a leader in guiding the direction of the internal and external products that enable developers.
As an engineer on the team, you’ll work closely with our product teams and others to translate product ideas into well-crafted data models, clear service boundaries, and rich user experiences. We care deeply about creating a high-quality product with delightful flows, and we have an equally deep appreciation for the excellent engineering foundations that make such product development possible. You’ll own the maintenance and reliability of the services you bring to life, and you’ll use your own product additions every day in the work you do.
What you’ll do
- Help design and build core backend microservices to power a variety of products. You will work on key foundational pieces like our large event-driven systems, user permissions system, graph variant permissions system, and more.
- Work on highly complex problems, and bring other team members along with you.
- Work in our exciting tech stack spanning GraphQL, TypeScript, Kotlin, Postgres, Kubernetes, Druid, and Kafka.
- Work with engineering and product leadership to accomplish the team’s roadmap, based on the company priorities and what you know the team can accomplish.
- Use new Apollo prototypes before anyone else and help us hone our developers building for developers experiences.
- You’ve worked on distributed systems at scale before and are comfortable implementing complicated and performant microservices from the ground up.
- You’re excited about GraphQL and modern developer tooling and are interested in helping push the industry forward.
- You are growth-oriented and enjoy the breadth of work that comes from contributing to systems that affect every product ship.
- You’re excited to bring your own creativity/vision to the problems Apollo is solving for the developer community, and being data-driven.
- The idea of sharing your work broadly, both internally and externally, is exciting to you.
- You’re looking forward to working with a distributed team.
Location: This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the United States or Canada.
Equal Opportunity: Apollo is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.
E-Verify: Apollo is an E-Verify employer and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information please visit E-Verify.
Salary: $144,500 – $185,000 a year
Compensation: In addition to the salary range above, we also provide equity and benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and country.
Benefits: Apollo offers all US-based employees a choice of 3 Anthem Blue Cross medical plans. California residents can also choose from 2 Kaiser plans. Dental is provided by Delta Dental and vision by VSP.