Full-Time Senior News Editor ($70k to $100k)
Senior News Editor, Nights
locations Remote US
time type Full time
job requisition id JR13130
Job Title Senior News Editor, Nights
I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
The Senior Night Editor will manage PEOPLE’s after-hours news team. That person will be responsible for assigning and editing stories, handling breaking news and programming the homepage. But they will also make sure that the evening shift runs efficiently by overseeing a small group of writers and editors who contribute to the site’s success.
The person in this role will be well-versed in PEOPLE’s 16 verticals from movies, TV, and music, to crime, human interest, and royals. They will also be laser focused and judicious in selecting news and important traffic driving content. The Senior Night Editor needs to be comfortable assigning and overseeing the production of a large volume of stories (30+). Prioritizing well and programming content that will drive strong traffic are key, but so too is developing strong working relationships with vertical editors. An ability to coach young talent is crucial too.
This person must have strong news judgment and be willing to take initiative outside of business hours when the rest of the senior editorial team is off. They will also be comfortable working with our team of lawyers on publishing legally complicated content. Finally, they will have a fluent understanding of the digital landscape, including content streams, SEO, and analytics.
II. Essential Job Functions
Weight % – Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
- 30% – Managing a small team of editors and writers, assisting the news director with staffing related support as needed.
- 40% – Finding, overseeing, assigning, and editing a large volume of stories nightly. Putting together a slate of content for People.com in the evenings that is newsy, varied and drives traffic.
- 10% – Collaborating with legal team on vetting of stories.
- 10% – Collaborating with other teams on developing news stories to ensure they’re executed in a way that accounts for sensitivities.
- 10% – Writing stories, if necessary, to be fast on breaking news
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
- Education: BA or BS (Preferable, not essential)
- Experience: 7 years of experience working in a high volume, digital news operation, with at least 2 years of editing experience.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Personnel management experience.
- Strong organizational skills and a proven ability to work independently.
- Strong writing and editing skills, impeccable journalistic standards and attention to detail.
- Ability to respond quickly to breaking news and understand how to prioritize urgent vs. non urgent content.
- An understanding of SEO and analytics.
- Strong management skills.
- Ability to work with anybody: this role requires a lot of liaising with many different departments.
% Travel Required (Approximate):
It is the policy of Meredith Operations Corporation (“Dotdash Meredith”, “the Company”) to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Company will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Accommodation requests can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Company participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: https://www.e-verify.gov/employees
Salary: $70000 – $100000
The pay range above represents the anticipated low and high end of the pay range for this position and may change in the future. Actual pay may vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to work location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Dotdash Meredith’s total compensation package for employees. Other compensation may include annual bonuses, and short- and long-term incentives.
In addition, Dotdash Meredith provides to employees (and their eligible family members) a variety of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, prescription drug coverage, unlimited paid time off (PTO), adoption or surrogate assistance, donation matching, tuition reimbursement, basic life insurance, basic accidental death & dismemberment, supplemental life insurance, supplemental accident insurance, commuter benefits, short term and long term disability, health savings and flexible spending accounts, family care benefits, a generous 401K savings plan with a company match program, 10-12 paid holidays annually, and generous paid parental leave (birthing and non-birthing parents), all of which may vary depending on the specific nature of your employment with Dotdash Meredith and your work location. We also offer voluntary benefits such as pet insurance, accident, critical and hospital indemnity health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance.