Requisition ID: 27691708
Work From Home: Yes
Other Location: Remote
People Passion Purpose
Everything School Specialty offers is designed for one purpose – to help students succeed. We believe every student can flourish in an environment where they feel safe and inspired to explore and grow.
Transforming more than classrooms.®
School Specialty offers Medical, Dental, & Vision plans (Effective Day 1), Wellness programs, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, 401 (k), PTO, Promise Hours dedicated to volunteering, Education Reimbursement, Paid Holidays, Fall & Winter Flexible Hours, Employee Discounts and much more!
Senior Editor, ELA
This position is responsible for developing marketable digital and print products that reflect our company philosophy. Supervise and process the product through all editorial stages. Oversee freelance editors and the daily implementation of complex projects. Assist in the planning, development, and production of products. Senior editors must be able to work autonomously and act as team leaders for assigned projects.
The base salary range for this role is $65K-$82K Annually.
Summary of Primary Responsibilities
- Manage and edit a project from conception to release under supervision of the executive editor.
- Monitor content of written material to ensure accuracy, consistency with specifications, and adherence to relevant state guidelines/market trends/current pedagogy, such as the Science of Reading.
- Demonstrate expertise in phonics and early literacy, particularly grades K–2.
- Act as a team leader for assigned projects and mentor less-experienced team members as necessary.
- Monitor and track standards in states for which products are under development.
- Consistently produce the highest quality editorial work.
- Work collaboratively with vendors and coworkers in other departments.
- Manage schedules to avoid delays and work with the executive editor and production manager to resolve bottlenecks.
- Maintain a solution-based approach to problems arising in the normal course of the editorial publishing plan.
Minimum Experience RequirementsThe Senior Editor must have extensive knowledge of pedagogy and demonstrate expertise in a content area. This position requires a minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience in educational publishing, including experience acting as a team leader and mentoring less-experienced editors.
- Substantial editing experience with ELA print and digital educational materials, with a concentration in K–8 literacy and phonics
- Excellent writing and editing skills; sensitivity to language
- Highly organized with ability to prioritize, to multitask, and to work effectively within a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent editorial, interpersonal, and communication skills with exceptional follow-through and initiative
- Interest in teaching and education in general, or experience in teaching at the elementary level
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Experience with specifying digital use cases and evaluating user experience
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- School Specialty, LLC. is a Drug Free Workplace. All applicants are subject to a drug screen and background check as a condition of employment.
- We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us.