Senior Editor, Medical Reviews
YourTango is looking for an ambitious, meticulous, and knowledgeable senior editor to work closely with members of our Medical Review Advisory Panel to ensure every piece of content we publish is carefully sourced, fact-checked, reviewed for accuracy, and presented in an objective and balanced manner.
As a part of our creative, collaborative, and enthusiastic editorial team, you will be responsible for assigning, editing, and updating articles related to relationships, emotional well-being, and physical health. You will work directly with our medical reviewers, freelance writers, and our in-house team of editors to increase traffic and visibility while providing our readers with the best information possible.
The person who fills this role must possess strong writing, editing, and fact-checking skills; be familiar with reading clinical research and translating critical details into easily digestible language for readers; be efficient, deadline-driven, and organized; have an understanding of strong advice content and reader behavior; have familiarity with APA style citations; and have knowledge of SEO best practices. This person should also feel comfortable editing and writing across all categories (mental health, relationships, family, and entertainment).
Typical Duties / Responsibilities:
- Assign and edit articles, ensuring they are accurate, up-to-date, comprehensive, expert-backed, and in abidance with SEO and editorial best practices.
- Add value to content by rewriting/restructuring articles as needed.
- Assign articles for medical review by experts on our Medical Review Advisory Panel, as well as edit those same articles according to expert feedback.
- Add appropriate sources to article footnotes following APA style guidelines.
- Apply YourTango’s editorial voice to explain complex medical information to readers in an easily digestible way.
- Recruit, onboard, and manage a diverse team of freelance medical writers.
- Increase organic ranking and traffic through keen keyword selection and SEO optimization.
- Conduct competitor analysis on an ongoing basis.
- Fact check and transition content to evergreen where possible.
- Use editorial instincts to make further updates and edits to improve content quality.
- Update article photos in accordance with YourTango image style.
- Track and monitor the performance of your articles on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
- Partner with YourTango Experts department and other editorial departments on content initiatives.
- Participate in team meetings to contribute to shared content goals and strategy.
- Background writing and/or editing content on topics pertaining to mental health, wellness, and relationships with an understanding of specific nuances surrounding sourcing and credibility.
- Expertise in translating confusing medical and clinical language into reader-friendly, engaging content.
- 3-5 years of experience developing online editorial content and working with content management systems.
- Strong copywriting skills, capable of writing engaging headlines with YourTango’s editorial voice in mind.
- Experience and comfort with SEO best practices and keyword research/assessment.
- Stellar interpersonal and communication skills.
- A natural sense of urgency; ability to juggle many initiatives at the same time.
- Willingness to experiment and be self-driven.
- College degree required.
Employment type: Full-Time
Location type: Remote
Estimated pay: $40,000 – 50,000 per year (negotiable salary commensurate with experience/expertise)
How to Apply