Researcher / Writer, Autos
CATEGORY Editorial, Cars
U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you will use your strengths and skills to create consumer-oriented rankings and reviews content for our autos vertical. Your work will help readers make smart decisions when it’s time to buy a new or used car, or shop for the best car deals. Our rankings and reviews content includes vehicle profiles, ranking lists, vehicle incentives information and other content aimed at helping readers make an informed buying decision. This content generally excludes articles and slideshows.
In this role, you’ll write SEO-optimized new and used vehicle reviews, which are based on internal scores and research, safety and reliability data, fuel economy information and manufacturer-provided specifications.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a self-starter with strong written communication skills, and you should be comfortable working both individually and in a small-team environment. The ability to own and maintain multiple assignments while working on a deadline is important. You should be comfortable distilling technical information into consumer-friendly content that is easy to read and understand.
As part of the job, you’ll:
- Write SEO-optimized new and used car review content
- Write and fact check monthly car deals content
- Employ SEO best practices to update and improve content and optimize content for search
You should definitely have:
- Strong written communication skills
- At least one year of professional full-time writing experience
- Interest in researching topics to provide factual content
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments while meeting deadlines
- Prior experience using word processing software, such as Google Docs or Microsoft Word
- Willingness to receive and apply feedback from editors
It would be nice if you had:
- Interest in the automotive industry
- Familiarity with issue tracking software such as Jira and Airtable
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Experience working with a content management system
- A basic understanding of SEO best practices
- A background that includes newswriting, technical writing or web content writing
What it’s like to work with us:
Talent is our best asset!
We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, the Company will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
- In New York City, the anticipated base salary for this position is $50,000 to $65,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, interview
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION U.S. News & World Report is a publisher of news and information that empowers people to make better, more informed decisions about important issues affecting their lives.
EOE STATEMENT We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.