Writer, NFL, SB Nation
Remote (US Only)
WHO WE ARE
SB Nation is the largest independent sports media brand, consisting of SBNation.com, Secret Base, MMAFighting, OutSports and more than 280 fan-centric team communities.
SB Nation is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Writing a variety of daily posts breaking down the latest NFL news and highlights
- Providing live coverage of games and events, writing quickly and clearly about the big stories as they happen
- Generating ideas for stories
- Creating a variety of content designed to enrich the fan’s experience and perspective with the game
- Working closely with the editorial, audience and social staff to identify unique angles and the best way to tell those stories
- MUST be able to work Sundays
WHO YOU ARE
SB Nation is seeking enterprising, self-starting, and experienced NFL writers to build out our coverage.
This person should possess strong knowledge and the ability to write about NFL and, when necessary, a multitude of other sports topics. We’re looking for someone with:
- Ability to write clearly, quickly and with attention to detail
- Experience covering the NFL
- Versatility and the ability to write about everything from short news blurbs to detailed features
- Experience finding the most interesting angles of a story and bringing unique ideas to the table
- The insight to tell a story with the pictures, data, or other visual assets
- An understanding of and a willingness to mine social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok for topical coverage
- Familiarity with analytics tools like CrowdTangle and Parse.ly to identify content that resonates with audience
- Ability to make SEO-impacting changes on published content in real-time
- The desire to help shape the coverage strategy of NFL coverage one article at a time
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.