Freelance News Writer
Title: News Writer (Contract), Powder.com
Employment Type: Full-Time, Contract
Location: Remote USA
The Arena Group is seeking a ski-loving Contract News Writer with excellent writing skills and online know-how to join our team. The News Writer will be responsible for producing quick-turnaround, 250-350 word articles on a daily basis, which will be assigned each morning by the Trending News Editor.
This is a full-time, contract position at a rate of $25 per hour.
What You’ll Do:
- Writing multiple short, quick-turnaround articles on topics related to skiing
- Searching social media channels of key players in skiing to find potential sources of content
- Searching for and choosing appropriate photos for each article
- Pitching ideas for articles to the Trending News Editor
- Accepting and applying feedback from the Trending News Editor to improve the quality of articles
What You’ll Bring:
Please do not apply if you do not have the experience listed below. Applicants without these qualifications will not be considered.
- Skiing enthusiast
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- At least 1 year of writing experience, preferably in a news capacity
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the niche culture of skiing
- First-hand experience and participation as a skiier
- Vast knowledge of the key players in the ski community
- A genuine interest in outdoor adventure sports as a whole
Team-oriented, detail-oriented, creative, possesses great time-management skills, and are able to turn around clean, accurate copy in a timely, efficient manner, without the need for a heavy top edit. You have a thorough understanding of how to write in an online capacity, including properly sourcing and hyperlinking material, and also composing articles in a conversational tone that aims to provide the most optimal reader experience. You also have a willingness to learn, and an ability to apply feedback to further hone your craft and develop your skills as a writer.
The Arena Group (NYSE American: AREN) is an innovative technology platform and media company with a proven cutting-edge playbook that transforms media brands. Our unified technology platform empowers creators and publishers with tools to publish and monetize their content, while also leveraging quality journalism of anchor brands like Sports Illustrated, TheStreet, Parade, Men’s Journal, and HubPages to build their businesses. The company aggregates content across a diverse portfolio of over 265 brands, reaching over 100 million users monthly. Visit us at thearenagroup.net and discover how we are revolutionizing the world of digital media.
The Arena Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.