News Editor – Windows Central
We’re Future. We’re 3000+ colleagues over 250+ brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We haven’t just survived over the past couple of years, we’ve thrived, increasing our audience share, taking more number one positions, acquiring new businesses and launching new brands.
And we don’t plan on stopping any time soon.
We’ve got ambitious plans that build on our growth momentum and unlock new opportunities and we’re looking for talented people who want to be a part of it.
Windows Central is the home for Windows and PC diehards. But it’s more than that — Windows Central hosts news, reviews, how-to guides, and buying guides across a variety of topics, from Windows laptops and tablets to PC builds and hardware, software, and all of the intricacies of Windows 11.
The ideal News Editor for Windows Central is someone who lives and breathes all things Microsoft, Windows, PC, Xbox, and tech in general. Your driving force is informing the Windows Central audience of the latest, breaking news quickly and accurately. You want to set your work apart by digging beyond the headline and explaining what the news really means to the reader. You will be passionate about Microsoft and the Windows ecosystem, but you will also be familiar with the PC industry as a whole. This includes being comfortable with writing about everything from the latest PC hardware to minor bug fixes and significant software updates. This often requires the ability to effectively research unfamiliar topics and quickly zero in on important details. You must be a seasoned writer with experience in finding interesting, unique takes on the day’s news. You will also be responsible for directing other news writers, assigning stories, hunting news, creating event coverage plans, and tracking product release cycles. Making quick decisions with sound judgement in a fast-paced environment is a must-have skill for this role. Windows Central is an entirely remote work environment, so you will need to be an effective communicator. The ideal candidate is familiar with modern tools and best practices for effective remote working. This application is open worldwide, but priority will be given to candidates in the U.S. or the UK. Experience working remotely is a plus. As a News Editor of the Windows Central team, this person must champion Future’s values. This means positively impacting the culture through promoting interaction between teams and the audience, demonstrating decisiveness in decision making, having a clear focus on results, ensuring all activity undertaken aligns with the wider needs of the business, and exercising sound judgement when working with others.
Key responsibilities and skills:
- Report on and write several news stories each day.
- Assign and edit several news articles daily, providing feedback to writers and ensuring quality is up to Windows Central standards.
- Research breaking news, getting beyond the surface level to write authoritatively about the topics important to Windows Central readers.
- Write timely, news-based features and op-eds around trending topics.
- Reach out to companies to build and foster ongoing relationships.
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief to plan news strategy on an ongoing basis.
- Report to the Editor-in-Chief on a weekly basis to track project progress and improve workflows within the team.
- Understanding of Microsoft and the PC space as a whole.
- 3+ years of related editing and/or news writing experience, preferably with a tech publication.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Decision-making and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to perform at a high level on strict deadlines.
- Strict attention to detail.
- Professional writing and editing experience.
- Clear understanding of modern SEO best practices.
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
- 401k match
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces. We operate a flexible working plan and are COVID secure
Our Future, Our Responsibility – Inclusion and Diversity at Future
We have a voice and we’re going to use it. We promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do. We’re an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process is free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respecting of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values and employees – current and future – are treated with respect and fairness. Find out more about Our Future, Our Responsibility on our website.