Full-Time Narrative Designer
Narrative Designer wanted in Jagex which is aA leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
As narrative designer you will be responsible for overseeing the content and quality of RuneScape’s story, world and characters. You will work collaboratively with designers and developers to guide the team towards a shared strategy.
Main Duties Include:
- Oversees and coordinates storytelling in RuneScape.
- Flexibly adapts to the live game environment, shaping and reshaping the story as needed.
- Works closely with developers to guide story and world building.
- Where necessary, contributes to the writing of game text.
- Ensures a high quality of narrative work across the department.
- Works with marketing to ensure a good collaboration between content and the way it is presented.
- Creates and maintains documentation pertaining to characters and the game world.
- Represents the RuneScape brand in internal and external brand management.
- Works closely with the Lead Designer to build the game’s story.
- As a member of the design team, works with other designers to shape and champion RuneScape’s design strategy.
- Professional experience in game writing and/or narrative design. Fantasy RPG genre and live games preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. This is a highly social role and you need to be able to work well with your team.
- High standard of written text and creative writing experience.
- In-depth knowledge of the MMORPG and live game genres, including recent innovations.
- In-depth knowledge of RuneScape story, storytelling style and history.
– Flexible Working
– Bonus Scheme
– Private Health Care
– Gym Membership
– Monthly Energy Allowance
– Generous Pension Contributions
– Life Insurance
– Free Cycle Repair
– Income Protection
– Dental Plan
– Free Fruit and Drinks
– Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.