Freelance Medical Writer/Editor
DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS
Who we are
Bixal is a mission-driven, woman-owned small business determined to improve people’s lives through human-centered strategies and transformative technologies, with a firm belief that everyone has the right to an effective government.
We deliver on this belief by partnering with leading Federal agencies to design, develop, and deliver powerful customer experiences through holistic digitalproduct solutionsand strategic communications initiativesbringinga high standard and unique creative energy to our clientsand our wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible.
Bixal unites different people with different perspectives from all over the world! We provide our teamwith an open and empowered environment where collaboration thrivesand solutions flourish.
This role can work remotely from anywhere in the USA. You must be legally authorized to work in the US.Bixal does not provide visa sponsorship.
What will you do?
Bixal is seeking a Medical Writer/Editor to support one of our clients in the creation, organization, transformation, management, dissemination, and delivery of curated, consumer-focused health information. The ideal candidate is a skilled writer and editor with subject matter expertise in medicine and/or public health. Strong knowledge of medical and public health content is required.
This role averages 8 hours/week.
- Contribute to overall development and daily maintenance of health topics, medical test monographs, and other content on a public facing consumer health website.
- Write and update information about laboratory, health screening and diagnostic tests for a consumer audience. The intended audience must be general health information consumers in the United States. Content must be written in plain language, and between a 5th-8th grade reading level and free of grammatical errors and typographical errors.
- Use a strong knowledge of medical content and the overall needs of the consumer audience to write and edit summaries on health topic pages and content of medical test monographs.
- Support the review, update, and maintenance of medical test monographs on an annual basis, and as needed between annual updates to meet the needs of the changing science. Medical test monographs cover laboratory, health screening, and diagnostic tests.
- As needed, complete other tasks in content creation or review for a public facing consumer health website.
- Provide timely responses to clients, stakeholders and team members.
- Accommodate all requested edits and revisions in a timely manner.
- Ensure that content for all pages is accurate, up-to-date, complete, and unbiased, while adhering to established guidelines for style and content.
- Stay current with health news and make appropriate recommendations for additions to a public facing consumer health website.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Ability to undergo a background investigation by the U.S. Government and meet eligibility requirements for suitability.
- Skilled information specialist with subject matter expertise in public health, health information, or a similar specialty with at least 2 years of experience in the field.
- At least 1 year of experience with writing, editing, and evaluating health information as well as similar editorial experience reviewing and updating existing content on a public facing consumer health website.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with creating/reviewing content related to medical tests for consumers.
- Demonstrated experience tailoring medical content to the overall needs of the consumer audience.
- Expertise in plain language guidelines.
- Experience working effectively in highly collaborative and team-oriented environments. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks from different sources.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong critical thinking and analysis skills.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
- Ability to participate (in person or remotely) in meetings, both regular and ad hoc, with programming or content staff.
Nice to haves
- Degree in medicine or public health communications.
$45 – $55 an hour
Bixal is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and beyond.