Managing Editor, News
Yardbarker is a sports news and information website that has been in business since 2006. Through a combination of original content, third-party syndicated content, and feed-based aggregation, we provide fans with a one-stop place for their sports consumption needs. We love what we do and we’re looking for passionate, talented people to help us grow and achieve our goals.
We are seeking an experienced and dedicated Managing Editor to join our team and lead our News Desk operation. Yardbarker is committed to delivering sports news as it happens, and we have an active and productive News Desk writing team that creates original content on the top news stories of the day. This role will oversee the expansion of our News Desk efforts as we increase our production and add additional content formats to our approach. To be successful in this role you will need a passion for sports content, a strong ability to create scalable content-based programs and be adept at managing a writing staff. This is a great opportunity to play an impactful editorial role with a top tier site with significant distribution on third party platforms.
This is a full-time, salaried, remote opportunity, with full benefits. The candidate must be able to work nights, weekends, holidays, and special events as needed.
Here are the Managing Editor, Sports News responsibilities:
- Overseeing our News Desk team, ensuring we are creating timely, compelling, and unique content
- Developing new scalable content-based programs and formats to enhance our offering and to grow the Yardbarker audience
- Managing a writing team including scheduling, assignments, recruitment, and feedback
- Helping to manage budgets and guide decisions on budget allocation
- Providing editorial expertise for new company initiatives
The Managing Editor, Sports News qualifications we’re looking for:
- You have worked for a mainstream website for at least 5+ years in an assignment editor, news desk, or editorial operations role
- Deep and nuanced knowledge of sports and an instinct for what makes content clickable and shareable
- Strong news judgment with ability to make quick decisions in breaking news environments
- Experience with data/performance driven approaches to content production
- Expertise working with writers and capable of providing direct and timely feedback
- Experience working with content management systems, photo services, Slack, and other collaboration tools
- Knowledge of AP Stylebook and familiarity with SEO best practice
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple editorial projects in one day
- Organized, detail oriented, and an excellent communicator
What we need from you: