Full-Time Managing Editor
Title: Managing Editor
Location: US National
Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and news media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, Shadow & Act, and Home & Texture. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, and Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
Blavity Inc. is hiring a Managing Editor for one of the company’s largest brands, Travel Noire. The person in this role is a hands-on leader and coach of content contributors who has top-notch journalistic integrity and is immersed in all things pop culture and travel. The ME is charged with guiding the Editorial team to possess a solid news sense as well as make snap judgments about the proper treatment of content; whether it’s an affiliate article, trending story, or breaking news piece that resonates with the Travel Noire audience.
This content lead applies a mix of recognizing audience behaviors, interpreting data, pouring through social platforms, writing, editing and staying up-to-date on current events and viral trends. The Managing Editor safeguards the brand’s philosophy to usher in a world of travelers more representative of the diversity that lies within it.
This role reports directly to the Associate Vice President, Consumer Media Content which is part of the Commerce & Consumer Media Division.
- Supervise a team of internal writers, contractors and freelancers by assigning a healthy balance of editorial and shoppable/affiliate articles per week. Articles include a mix of new content and updates to existing content.
- Maintain the editorial calendar and collaborate with the team to come up with fresh and engaging content ideas keeping Blavity’s Travel Noire audience top of mind.
- Serve as the last line of defense for grammar, AP style, tone, structure, and brand voice.
- Monitor site analytics to ensure KPIs and monthly traffic targets are met.
- Participate in the evaluation of content performance, develop monthly recommendations for potential content strategy shifts.
- Safeguard content to prevent infringements and guarantee that all information is accurate prior to distribution.
- Partner with the AVP of Consumer Media and other Content leads on team goals while keeping business priorities at the forefront.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Required Experience:
- 6+ years experience with digital publishing, including producing commerce content
- CMS experience
- Preferred Experience:
- Experience using affiliate platforms such as Skimlinks, Amazon Associates, and Rakuten
- Experience with SEO tools, Google Search Console, and Google Analytics (or equivalent)
- Technologies: Experience with project manager tools such as Asana and Jira is a plus
- Additional Qualifications:
- Strong verbal and organization skills along with effective and appropriate written communication, including grammar and AP Style
- A deep knowledge of, passion for, and understanding of the health, beauty, and fashion industries.
- A self-starter who can pivot seamlessly as new directives are identified
- Open to new challenges and eager to grow within a fast-paced, evolving company
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
- This is a fully remote role, occasional travel may be required.
- Candidates must be available to work at least 50% in alignment with the Pacific Time Zone.
- The salary range for this role is $70,000 – $90,000.