Full-Time Managing Editor ($75k to $90k)
Who We Are
Planetizen is the most visited urban planning website in the United States, providing training, news, jobs, and continuing education across multiple products and services. Planetizen publishes 40 times a week, including news, analysis, and commentary, in addition to hosting regularly updated jobs and events boards. Planetizen Courses provides the leading online professional education website for planners and urban designers, with 300+ of the highest quality video courses available to subscribers and a publication schedule that totals 25 new courses every year. The Planetizen team works in a collaborative and entrepreneurial environment, where team members are encouraged to continue to learn, grow, and implement new ideas.
The Planetizen Managing Editor (remote role) will be tasked with delivering value to a large audience of professional and passionate individuals, with responsibility for all editorial, training, and marketing content created for the Planetizen and Planetizen Courses platforms. This position will lead content strategy to improve the quality of the content on both platforms and identify and implement best practices and innovations to grow the audience and retain Planetizen’s brand authority.
- Editorial Strategy: Develop and execute the content strategy for Planetizen websites, products, and publications by defining the editorial direction and content goals.
- Editorial Planning: Manage and refine editorial calendars, curate, create and edit content, contract and coordinate with writers, instructors, and creators to ensure a consistent and timely flow.
- Content Quality: Leverage subject matter expertise and ensure content relevance and quality to a national planning audience.
- Team Management: Manage a small content team to ensure their success and fulfillment.
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Must have a background in all kinds of planning, including but not limited to city planning, urban planning, community planning, regional planning, environmental planning, and transportation planning.
- Strong editing and writing skills; journalism or communications experience preferred.
- Experience managing projects and managing and collaborating with teams.
- Familiarity with digital tools like Google Suite, Slack, Zoom, Jira, Notion, Adobe Creative Suite, Analytics, content management systems, and more.
In the first year
- Become an expert in Planetizen products and create an updated editorial strategy to meet content and business goals.
- Grow website traffic, increasing annual page views on Planetizen.com by 10% from the previous year.
- Grow user engagement, increasing pages per session on Planetizen.com by 5% from the previous year.
- Grow Planetizen Courses subscribers by 15% from the previous year.
Location & Availability
- Available 9am – 6pm in any U.S. time zone
- Our office is located in sunny Los Angeles, CA. This position is available for fully remote or hybrid work.
- $75,000-90,000 Annual Based on Experience
- Paid time off (15 days increasing to 20 after four years)
- Holiday time off (~10 days per year).
- Health insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Dental insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Company-sponsored 401(k) plan with employer match (after 60 days).
- Performance and compensation reviews annually.