Full-Time Managing Editor
Title: Managing Editor, Consumer Electronics
Location: Remote – United States
Managing Editor, Consumer Electronics (PCMag)
Delivering expert reviews and buying advice for more than 40 years, PCMag seeks a sharp, seasoned editor to lead our consumer electronics coverage, including TVs, cameras, headphones, speakers, health and fitness tech, smart home devices, and more.
- Lead a team of writers and editors, plus freelancers, to cover a host of product categories core to PCMag’s mission.
- Mentor and coach writers and editors by providing continual feedback and encouraging professional development.
- Assign and edit authoritative reviews, news, video scripts, and other product-focused content.
- Package and edit compelling roundups, buying guides, and how-to pieces.
- Regularly update evergreen articles.
- Handle content hubs and write newsletters.
- Use data and audience analytics to determine the right mix of coverage, and use SEO tools to ensure that your stories achieve the highest visibility possible.
- Actively pitch ideas for home page, social media, and video promotion.
- Contribute regularly to morning meetings, pitching your own stories and collaborating with other teams.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key vendors in coverage areas, ensuring early access to new products. (Bonus points if you already have those relationships.)
- Work with the art, product, social media, and video teams to improve our editorial processes.
- Occasionally appear in videos for product reviews and other content related to the beats you manage.
- A strong work ethic, a quick wit, and a sense of humor.
- A keen eye for organization and details.
- At least five years of editing and team leadership experience at a major publication or website (preferably with a technology or reviews focus).
- The ability to write and edit clearly and quickly. We test and review more products than any other site, so you absolutely need to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Intimate knowledge of grammar and style, and a quick ability to make rough copy shine.
- You should have forward-thinking ideas about how to help our audience buy and use technology, along with a plan to turn those ideas into impactful stories.
- An intimate understanding of SEO and familiarity with popular search optimization tools, but you also understand how to package a story to engage and delight your audience.
- You should be comfortable using a CMS, image editing, and data visualization programs.
- We’re located in New York City and are willing to accept applications from both local and remote candidates, but you must be able to work our core hours of 9AM-5PM ET weekdays.
- Applications will not be accepted without a cover letter. Please tell us why you’re perfect for this role.
Ziff Davis offers competitive salaries in addition to robust health and wellness focused benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability benefits; Flexible Spending accounts, 401(k) with company match, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Pregnancy and Parental leave, Family Planning Support via Maven, Flexible Time Off, Volunteer Time Off, Fitness Reimbursement as well as employee-focused engagement and education programs, including Employee Resource Groups and company-sponsored events.