HR Specialist, Background Screening
Job ID: 2064951 | Amazon.com Services LLC
Screening Services creates a safe and trustworthy workplace for all Amazonians by delivering pre and in-employment background checks. Amazon is the fastest growing large employer in the world, and we need to deliver screening services at the fastest rate, with the highest quality, and the most flexibility – a unique business problem that no other company in the world is facing.
As an HR Specialist, you will be required to handle existing and future pipeline programs to deliver a quality and compliant service to Amazon’s many diverse businesses. You will interact with fast-moving customers, and your challenge will be to execute complex processes and programs with compliance, quality, and speed in mind. The work you manage requires a high level of judgment, and the ability to earn trust with your customers.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Adjudication: Independently adjudicate background checks and manage caseload within SLA, particularly in complex scenarios requiring high judgement, critical thinking, independent research, and policy interpretation.
- Comfortable with Complexity: Manage complex work across multiple systems and operate in a high-volume, highly matrixed environment.
- Skilled in Process Improvement: Assist with development and execution of vision and goals for the team. Participate in reviews of current processes and identify common pitfalls and areas of opportunity to maximize value of resources.
- Decision Making Skills: Exercise a high degree of judgment in ambiguous situations where a clear answer may not exist. Properly balance quality over speed and understand the risk of tradeoffs.
- Cross-Functional Expertise: Serve as an SME for multiple programs or locations, and take accountability for documenting and sharing expertise across the Screening Services organization. Work with cross-functional partners to develop interpretations and solutions for complex issues.
- Project Management: Participate in cross-functional process improvement or program launch initiatives. Lead small scale projects independently, provide support for larger projects, and continuously update stakeholders of milestones, roadblocks, and overall progression.
- Outcome Oriented: Respond quickly and accurately to escalations, conduct root cause analysis and recommendations with guidance from manager. Identify gaps and areas for improvement within processes, and work with relevant stakeholders to implement scalable solutions.
- The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of:
- Executing a complex operation requiring attention to detail and high judgment.
- Demonstrating a bias for action and an ability to deal with great ambiguity.
- Agility and ability to react quickly to changing requirements and demands.
- Successful project delivery, particularly in deploying new processes and process improvements.
- Working cross-functionally with customers, legal, service teams, technology, and vendors.
- Utilizing written and verbal communication skills to effectively work with a range of stakeholders and contributing to meetings and projects based on subject matter expertise.
- Providing narratives based on data analyses with manager input.
- Understand core business objectives, work backwards from customers to improve processes, uncover defects and root cause, and collaborate with partner teams to ensure operational efficiency, compliance, and improve the customer experience in a measurable way.
- Strong written and verbal communication, with the ability to clearly articulate business problems and solutions to stakeholders.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
1 year experience in HR, Compliance, Legal, Investigations or similar field.
- 3+ years’ experience in HR, Compliance, Legal, Investigations or similar field.
- Prior experience with pre-employment screening, paralegal, risk management, or employment law a plus.
- Knowledge of EEOC or Fair Chance hiring initiatives a plus.
- Quick self-started learner with a passion for invention, experimentation, and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with HR, business and technical teams.
- Established record of project delivery as business analyst, operations analyst or project manager.
- Thorough command of HR processes, particularly pre-employment or onboarding related processes (i.e. applicant tracking systems, recruiting/onboarding workflow, etc.).
- Analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and/or metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.