Full-Time Health and Wellness Writer
Title: Health and Wellness Writer, Editor
Location: US – Remote
Yahoo serves as a trusted guide for hundreds of millions of people globally, helping them achieve their goals online through our portfolio of iconic products. For advertisers, Yahoo Advertising offers omnichannel solutions and powerful data to engage with our brands and deliver results.
A little about us
At Yahoo News, we are building the best guide to the Internet (and the world) by making it easy to discover the most useful and interesting content online. We do this by collaborating across teams to deliver high-quality content and engaging experiences to the 35 million users who come to us every day. Under a new leadership team, we are committed to revitalizing this well-recognized and reliable source of breaking news, entertainment and lifestyle content and positioning it for the future. As part of an effort to build authority around health and wellness content, we are seeking a writer and editor with experience in the field.
A lot about you
The right person for this role will have a passion for storytelling, a high news metabolism, a passion for delivering health and wellness information in a digestible manner and a desire to inform audiences about their bodies in new ways. We are interested in being a leading authority in the health and wellness space by creating stories using experts and leveraging our network of partner publishers. Our ideal candidate has high standards around health reporting, already knows the difference between the CDC, FDA and ACOG (and all the other health-related acronyms) and is plugged in with trustworthy sources and freelancers. This candidate will be a confident leader and teammate who can help us uphold our mission of being the best guide on the internet by consistently publishing content that adds context, cuts through noise, breaks down complex topics and overall helps our users better understand the world.
Your day at Yahoo
- Start at 7 a.m. ET
- Jump on writing or assigning the biggest health and wellness-related news of the morning
- Create a list of health and wellness-related trending news based on press releases, sources, Google Trends, social media, internal metrics and partners to be distributed to the team to inspire pitches
- Assign breaking and trending news with a unique Yahoo angle to in-house reporters and freelancers
- Edit Yahoo reporters and freelancers
- Participate in brainstorming during daily standups and weekly evergreen and feature pitch meetings
- Write 1 to 3 stories per week
- Assist with team operations
You must be:
- A health and wellness content expert
- Plugged in with medical experts and sources
- Experienced editor and strong writer and reporter
- Comfortable assigning to freelancers and reporters
- Willing to work East Coast hours
The compensation for this position ranges from $90,750.00 – $188,750.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible–hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.