Contract Freelance Travel Creator
Freelance (Human) Travel Creators Needed for Long Term Work
Are you a expert on your home city, state, or region? Can you create a travel guide that’s 10x better than anything ChatGPT could write?
Are you meticulous about planning every detail of your own trips to perfection? Do your friends go to you for recommendations on hidden gems in your local area?
Do you have a smartphone photo library filled with snapshots from your adventures around your city?
You might be a good candidate to become a Travel Lemming creator!
Currently, we are looking for creators to share their deep local knowledge about a large metropolitan area, region, or travel destination.
What Our Creators Do
We create highly-informative “guidebook style” blog posts around subjects like things to do in a city, the best day trips, the best restaurants, etc.
Our goal at Travel Lemming is to build the most helpful online travel resource on the internet, with candid and detailed advice from knowledgeable locals and expert travelers.
Writers write under their own byline. You must be comfortable showcasing your local experience and expertise, and being the “face” of our brand for your region.
You also must be comfortable taking and appearing in photographs. Images are as much a part of our work as writing.
Why You’ll Love Creating for Travel Lemming
- Stable & Steady Work – Many of our creators have been with us for years, and most seek to grow their commitment to us over time! With a 10 million strong readership base, we are a stable publication that publishes multiple guides every day.
- Human-First Approach – Our human-first approach means we will continue to value your experience and expertise even as other publications switch to AI garbage “content”.
- Advancement Opportunities – We hire from within. All of our editors started as writers, and we have even recently started hiring full time employees too.
- Learn New Skills – We want to invest in our creators (this is why they stay with us so long!). You must be willing to learn, but we can help you take your career to the next level.
- Collaborative & Communicative Environment – We pride ourselves on the communication and support we give to our creators. Help is always just an email away! We are a small team, pretty laid back, and we have a ton of fun working together.
- Help People Travel Better – Thousands of readers will use your guides to plan their trips, and it’s a really special feeling to know that you’re helping others travel better!
What We Look For
Local Expertise – We prefer our guides to be written by an area local, or at least an expert who has spent a lot of time in the destination and knows it very well.
No AI Writers – We aggressively enforce a hard “no AI” policy at Travel Lemming. We’re looking for content written by humans only.
Consistent Production – We need creators who can commit to produce about an article per week (and, to be totally upfront, our articles are longer than most publications). We are looking for creators with reliable and consistent availability.
Attention to Detail – Our writers must closely follow instructions. We have very long and detailed standard operating procedures (we’re not kidding about this – please don’t say we didn’t warn you!). You will also need to carefully follow specific topic outlines and templates for each article. We also take fact-checking and research extremely seriously. This is important, so you should include the name of the capital of Bolivia in your application form somewhere so that we know you read and digested this important requirement.
Quality, Detailed & Fluff-Free Writing – We will train you on our methods of producing quality content, whether you have experience or not. The important thing is that you are able to demonstrate that you can write clear, concise, fluff-free text that helps our readers plan better trips.
Original Photos – Photos are an essential part of this gig! You must have, or be able to take, quality original photos of the places you’re writing about. And you must be comfortable appearing in at least some photos. Photo licenses are an important part of our creators compensation, and we’ve found that the creators who thrive most are those who focus creating many quality photos.
Where We Are Looking to Hire
We are open to considering applications from anywhere, especially tourist destinations and large cities that are not already covered on Travel Lemming.
We are especially seeking locals in the following US, UK, and Canadian destinations:
New York City
Salt Lake City
San Jose, CA
Note that we are only looking for creators with local knowledge of the primary destination they propose to cover.
At this time, we are not looking for digital nomads or full-time-travelers.
On average, junior writers earn about $200 USD per article.
Senior writers average about $300 per article. Some longer articles can pay as much as $500, or even more if you have a lot of photos.
We view ourselves as creators – not just writers. Images matter as much as words in our pay scale:
Per-Word Rates: new writers can earn up to 6 cents out of the gate, with step increases progressively the more you write.
Original Photo License Rates: $3-4 per image, plus additional bonus opportunities for top creators.
Our articles are long, and we prefer a ton of original images, so the photo component can add up quickly!
This is a freelance/independent contractor (1099) position. We have two billing periods per month, and we pay via Paypal promptly.
How to Apply
Fill out our short application form, which can be found by scrolling down and clicking “Apply” or at this url: https://travellemming.com/freelance-jobs/