Editorial Content Manager
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, business advocacy, democratic governance, women’s economic empowerment, and anti-corruption/ethics. Position: Editorial Content, Communications Reports to: Deputy Director, Communications
Position Scope and Description
CIPE is seeking a full-time, exempt, Washington, D.C. based Editorial Content Manager to oversee a wide range of material that demonstrates CIPE impact, expertise, and thought leadership to external audiences across multiple channels.
Additional duties may include event support and interaction with sister organizations, local partners, vendors, and media outlets. Strong editorial skills and good internal communication are a must, as well as experience with U.S. programs to foster democratic and/or economic reforms. The position manages staff and will work closely with other CIPE departments to identify, craft, and schedule content related to project milestones or updates and insight on issues of interest to stakeholders and readers.
- Manages and oversees writing and editing of proactive communications content and products, including newsletters, press releases, blog posts, reports, website, social media and other written materials have clear messages that are consistent with CIPE’s mission and program themes and are free of errors, typos, or image licensing omissions. This includes responsibility for adherence to submission guidelines and frameworks required by external platforms.
- Collaborates with other CIPE teams to identify the goals of reports and recommends the best way to reach key audiences. Develops ideas around how to repurpose the materials and encourages and guides the creation of materials to support the effort.
- Schedules the release of materials across CIPE platforms in an efficient manage to make sure that departments get the appropriate visibility.
- Reviews analytics to identify opportunities to identify top-tier content, expand CIPE’s audience and recommend more effective ways to execute ways to display information on the website.
- Write signature and C-level communications materials to advance CIPE’s thought leadership efforts.
- Directly manage the Digital Content Specialist and Editorial and Content Specialist. Coach and provides leadership and support to communications liaisons.
- Coordinate with other members of the communications department and vendors to assist in the creation of materials as needed.
- Work directly with the Communications managers and leadership to develop and approve story ideas and content for adjacent platforms and media outlets that will help expand CIPE’s audience and reach. Provides practical or strategic input to CIPE staff to help them communicate on CIPE’s priority issues. Helps deliver quality products to promote those ideas.
- Primary contact and editor for CIPE’s fleet of regional and thematic newsletters to external audiences. This involves high coordination with program teams to ensure CIPE messaging, branding, style, and manager guidelines are reflected.
- Produces and writes the bi-weekly CIPE Communicator internal newsletter for global staff. Duties may involve typical newsgathering activities, such as interviews, video or podcast recording, and other research.
- Serves as expert on CIPE style for all publications: Helps set, promote, and institutionalize CIPE writing style guidelines. Reinforces branding rules and social media policy. This includes the creation and maintenance of a basic CIPE writing stylebook.
- Updates CIPE website as necessary. Oversees CIPE blog and news page, guaranteeing information there is accurate, clear, current, topical, and presented well. Maintains a location on CIPE.org to promote information found in newsletters.
- Provides training, mentorship, and feedback to CIPE staff on writing and editorial matters to expand the organization’s capacity to carry out a global communications plan and provide professional development for individuals.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, government, international relations, economics, journalism, or a field related to CIPE’s mission is required.
- Ten years professional experience in international development work, corporate communications, or journalism is required.
- Deadline oriented multi-tasker with exceptional writing, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate/maintain media contacts and submit material for placement.
- Ability to work independently and display initiative with minimum supervision, as well as work with all levels of staff and management.
- Proficiency in HTML, WordPress CMS, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative Suite and/or ability to quickly learn new software for content creation and management.
- Experience with e-mail subscription services such as Mailchimp, Eventbrite, or other online communications applications and/or ability to obtain relevant skills.
- Exposure to video production, graphics design, and search engine optimization work a plus.
- Proficiency in at least one commonly spoken language other than English is preferred.
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment, across time zones and hybrid setting.
- Flexibility to collaborate with a diverse team or work independently and deliver consistent, reliable results.
- High degree of culture competence.
- Contribute to an organization-wide culture of innovation, integrity, inclusion, and respect.
Benefits and Perks
Competitive Benefits including medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, paid family leave, life insurance, 401(k), commuter benefits, telework, and more!
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Americans with Disability Specifications
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work is performed primarily indoors with occasional exposure to outdoor conditions when required. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employee’s Responsibility in an Emergency
The employee is expected to respond to emergency situations involving the safety of fellow employees including evacuation of the building.