Title: Editor, Trending Team – Virtual
Location: Continental United States
Gannett seeks a proven leader to work with an innovative team of digital reporters who create the trending coverage that starts the conversation in the country each day.
The team focuses on smart, succinct and impactful stories that reach readers on any platform. We respond to the nation’s biggest breaking news moments for USA TODAY and more than 200 local sites, bringing national resources to bear for communities as their most important stories are unfolding. The position requires strong skills in journalism, leadership, and creativity.
The candidate will work with a team of reporters and editors to target the best opportunities to reach new audiences each day. This editor also works closely with other leaders in USA TODAY’s newsroom and across Gannett’s network of local sites to elevate the most important stories across the nation.
This position is full time remote and can be based anywhere in the US, except for Alaska and Hawaii.
What you’ll need to thrive in this role:
- Idea generation: keep fresh ideas flowing to assure the sites are fed with compelling content.
- An improvisational (yes, and) approach that recognizes the hurdles we encounter in reporting and encourages reporters and editors to expand on their line of thinking.
- Experience or interest in turning trending stories into meaningful coverage that resonates with a wide cross-section of readers.
- An audience-focused approach: you know platforms well and understand how to reach readers, no matter where they prefer to get their information.
- Familiarity with analytics tools and ability to unpack those metrics to spot areas of opportunity and audience growth.
- A hunger for turning out must-read stories every day.
- Comfort with aggressive-but-achievable goals.
- Comfort with a persistent state of change, which is the hallmark of a digital media company.
- Hire and coach reporters to produce a steady stream of breaking news, trending stories and enterprise coverage on a wide variety of topics.
- Accelerate the urgency, digital-first acumen among your staff and our colleagues across the newsrooms.
- Work with the content strategists and team leaders to ensure we’re covering the topics and issues most important to key audiences.
- Develop enterprise coverage plans around tentpole events and other critical moments when we can connect with readers.
- Monitor real-time metrics to develop a clear picture of audience opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with other editors to produce coverage using innovative approaches.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- More than five years of media management experience.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong line-editing skills.
- Strong people-management skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Creativity and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $38,700 and $93,150. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
97 total views, 1 today