Full-Time Deputy Editor ($68k to $80k)
Title: Deputy Editor, Travel Noire – Remote
Location: United States
Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded media and technology company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, unique experiences, and product solutions. Blavity Inc. has evolved into a market leader for Black media, reaching 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity, Blavity360, Shadow & Act, AfroTech & Talent Infusion, 21Ninety, Travel Noire, and Home & Texture. Our Blavity, Inc. employee community is composed of passionate, energetic, and culturally conscious individuals working together to deliver value to each other, the company, and our clients. We are always searching for new additions to our community that will help us continue to scale, contribute meaningfully to our culture, and advance our strategic direction.
Blavity Inc. is hiring a Deputy Editor, Travel Noire (a W2, contract position) who is a highly motivated self-starter responsible for overseeing and executing daily content for the Travel Noire community. This content lead will be responsible for the delivery of trending, inspiring, informative, and viral content that apply a mix of recognizing audience behaviors, data, pouring through social media moments, and staying up-to-date on travel trends.
The Deputy Editor will execute a plan with the help of internal department leads and stakeholders by assigning, editing and publishing articles that engage and increase our audience while delivering on key business goals. This includes highly visible franchises with corporate partnerships such as the annual Travel Noire Awards, our city guides content program and travel commerce content.
This is a high growth potential role and reports directly to the Associate Vice President, Consumer Media.
Contracted workers will be responsible for providing their own equipment, including but not limited to laptop computers, cell phones, or any other electronic equipment required to perform their role.
- Supervise and manage a team of internal contract writers by ideating and approving topics related to celebrity travel happenings, how to use points and credit cards to maximize travel budgets
- Copy edit and publish 8-10 stories daily as well as proactively plan ahead for special events, holidays, and top travel days.
- Maintain and create evergreen city guides quarterly with your content team
- Update existing content (guides, comparisons, news, etc.) for timeliness and accuracy
- Maintain the editorial calendar and collaborate with the creative and social teams to keep our brands’ audience top of mind.
- Collaborate across departments including creative, SEO, social media, video and sales to create and promote content on social and newsletters.
- Monitor site analytics to make sure KPIs and monthly traffic targets are met.
- Participate in the evaluation of content performance, develop monthly recommendations for potential content strategy shifts.
- Identify cultural influencers who can create packages of content for Travel Noire
- Safeguard content to prevent infringements and guarantee that all information is accurate prior to distribution.
- Partner with the AVP of Consumer Media and other leads on team goals while keeping business priorities at the forefront.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Required Experience:
- 4+ years experience with media and/or digital publishing, including producing commerce or finance content.
- Key stakeholder in cross-platform video content, including tentpole projects.
- Fluent in Google Suite, Asana, and/or comparable project management suite
- Plus if you have previous experience with project manager tools such as Asana, Trackonomics, Skimlinks, Sovrn, Amazon Associates, and Rakuten.
- Additional Qualifications:
- Highly collaborative and solutions-oriented leader who has worked in fast-paced, evolving company
- Strong verbal and organization skills along with effective and appropriate written communication, including grammar and AP Style
- A self-starter who can pivot seamlessly as new directives are identified
- A healthy appreciation of Black culture
- This is a fully remote role, U.S.- based role. Occasional travel may be required.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to work at least 50% in alignment to the Eastern Standard Time Zone.
- The annual salary range for this role is $68,500 – $80,000.
49 total views, 1 today