Full-Time Copyright Assistant ($56k to $117k)
Copyright Assistant in the United States of America – Remote
Yahoo serves as a trusted guide for hundreds of millions of people globally, helping them achieve their goals online through our portfolio of iconic products. For advertisers, Yahoo Advertising offers omnichannel solutions and powerful data to engage with our brands and deliver results.
Yahoo is a global media and tech company that connects people to their passions. We reach nearly 900M people around the world, bringing them closer to what they lovefrom finance and sports, to shopping, gaming and newswith the trusted products, content and tech that fuel their day. For partners, we provide a full-stack platform for businesses to amplify growth and drive more meaningful connections across advertising, search and media.
About our team:
This position will be part of the Copyright and Media Law team at Yahoo, a close-knit group that partners with our editorial, marketing, and business teams to help them achieve their goals while reducing legal risk. We advise on copyright, defamation, publicity rights, marketing, and other issues across all of our brands.
A little bit about you:
In this position, the Copyright Assistant will perform a variety of critical support and administrative tasks while working in a collaborative team environment with intellectual property professionals. Responsibilities will include:
– Assist with the intake of copyright and media law matters
- Process third-party notices including capturing screenshots of content in response to third-party notices
- Create and maintain files of correspondence and screenshots within document management system
- Input and maintain updated information on matters (e.g., claimant info, deadlines)
– Assist with intellectual property enforcement matters
- Conduct thorough reviews of allegedly infringing third-party websites, summarize research findings, prepare recommendations, and help draft takedown notices
- Investigate various resources for ownership and contact information to send takedown notices
- Input and maintain updated data on enforcement matters (e.g., third-party site info, summary of findings, status)
- Monitor infringing websites for compliance with takedown notices and follow-up and/or escalate as needed
– Handle standard Permissions requests for use of Yahoo’s original/owned content
- Monitor a dedicated Permissions email inbox
- Prepare standard permissions agreements and customize agreements where needed
- Communicate with internal stakeholders to verify copyright ownership information and gather terms and/or restrictions for content use (e.g., attribution, territory, format)
- Communicate with the licensing agency on some requests
- Assist Paralegal Managers with higher-profile requests as needed
– Miscellaneous other projects as needed to support the Copyright & Media Law team
Qualities and skills you have:
- 2+ years of relevant copyright experience
- 1+ years of administrative experience
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills to interact with colleagues and clients across the business
- Able to work independently as well as closely and collaboratively with a team that is primarily remote and located in various offices
- Flexibility to adapt to business needs, and a proactive approach
Other preferred skills include:
- Prior experience in or a general understanding of the copyright landscape and intellectual property rights
- Prior experience using rights-related content management systems and/or intake ticketing software
- This is a remote position, but it would be preferred if a candidate was located near one of our offices in California, New York, or Virginia
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
The compensation for this position ranges from $56,250.00 – $117,500.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.