job requisition id
A Manuscript Preparation Copyeditor is responsible for copy editing student theses and dissertations to ensure that documents adhere to the rules of standard grammar and punctuation as well as the formatting requirements developed by both The Chicago School and The American Psychological Association Publication Manual.
Manuscript Preparation Copyediting
- Accurately read student dissertations for logic and consistency in a timely manner.
- Identify and correct errors in grammar, spelling, syntax, format, style, and punctuation.
- Provide work samples that will assist students with formatting and style.
- Provide students with feedback about APA style and the requirements of The Chicago School.
- Assist students with formatting margins, pagination, citations, layout, tables, figures, and appendices so that they adhere to all dissertation guidelines established by The Chicago School.
- Ensure that all references are correctly formatted and that they have been correctly and consistently cited in the dissertation.
- Confer with students on what tasks they must perform to complete their manuscripts.
- Answer student questions about copy editing, referencing and citations, formatting, and completing dissertation copy editing in a timely manner.
- Assist students with printing a high-quality, ready-to-bind thesis or dissertation.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of student drafts, process, and progress.
- Retain all copies of student drafts, records, and correspondence until the student’s dissertation has been approved by The Chicago School.
- Maintain accurate and complete billing records.
- Respond to emails within 24 hours.
- Communicate as needed with Manuscript Preparation Manager regarding student progress.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regard to student names and results.
- Uphold the highest standards of collegial and professional conduct with all members of The Chicago School community.
A Master Degree in English or similar field with experience teaching writing and/or editing (or the equivalent preparation) is preferred. Individuals with a BA and relevant experience are also encouraged to apply. Applicants must have a thorough knowledge of English grammar and spelling and a working familiarity with APA writing style.
Excellent organizational, detail oriented, and communication skills are required. Applicants must also be able to work independently by email, phone , and Zoom.
Excellent computer skills, including mastery of MS Word, Excel, and Email, and Skype are required.
Compensation & Benefits
This opportunity is budgeted at $$ base compensation. Additional compensation factors may impact total compensation. To learn more about our competitive benefits and additional rewards, including generous paid time-off, medical and dental insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, click the link below.
The Chicago School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note: For the protection of faculty, staff, students, and all who enter our facilities, The Chicago School strongly recommends that all employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per CDC guidance.
29 total views, 1 today