Full-Time Copy Editor ($63k to $75k)
Title: Copy Editor, The Verge (Temporary)
Location: Remote (US Only)
WHO WE ARE
The Verge is an ambitious multimedia effort founded in 2011 to examine how technology will change life in the future for a massive mainstream audience.
The Verge is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Work closely with The Verge’s publishing team to prepare written and video content for publication.
- Copy edit a wide variety of stories from a large team of editors, reporters, and freelancers.
- Copy edit video graphics, captions, podcast transcripts, and social media copy in conjunction with The Verge’s video and engagement teams.
- Identify grammar and style issues as they arise both on- and off-platform, and ensure guidelines and expectations are clearly communicated to writers.
- Act as a point of reference for any style or grammar inquiries.
- Collaborate with editors on staff to update and maintain the comprehensive internal style guide.
- Remain up to speed on current language/industry trends as they pertain to The Verge’s voice.
WHO YOU ARE
We’re looking for a meticulous copy editor to make stories at The Verge truly shine. This person will be responsible for editing everything from news posts to investigative features to Instagram captions.
The right person will be a strong collaborator with every team at The Verge and have familiarity/interest in the areas we cover: technology, transportation, and entertainment.
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote, but flexibility to work East Coast hours is preferred.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a temporary, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.