Remote / Washington DC, District of Columbia, United States / Operations
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK12 instructional materials space, seeks a Copy Editor to join our dynamic, growing Operations team.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom, Eureka Math and PhD Science, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1000 people.
Our Market Position
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Copy Editor supports the Production Services area at Great Minds. The primary responsibilities of this role are to provide a critical eye to various projects across content areas and within the organization by copyediting curricular materials, proposals, presentations, website copy, and other pieces using the house style guide, Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS), content-specific checklists, and preset templates.
- Employ copyediting skills for the following tasks:
- Edit/proof documents for accuracy, consistency, and brand voice (when appropriate) following company guidelines.
- Check text to ensure it is well-written and logically structured.
- Correct grammar, spelling, and sentence structure issues within text.
- Ensure text adheres to established style guidelines.
- Cross-check national and state learning standards cited in Great Minds curricular materials to ensure accuracy in wording and formatting.
- Complete projects in a timely manner to meet deadlines.
- Ensure that documents move through the copy edit process efficiently.
- Develop skills and familiarity with the most current editions of MS Word and Chicago Manual of Style.
- Use Microsoft SharePoint, Google Sites, and other document management and storage systems, for appropriate projects.
- Perform other tasks related to document management as directed.
- Use goal and time tracking management systems, as well as in-house data collection forms, to mark progress.
- Four-year degree in English, journalism, or related field
- Minimum of two years of copyediting experience
- Knowledge of PK12 mathematics, English language arts, and/or science instruction is a plus
- Knowledge of and experience with Chicago Manual of Style
- Experience using track changes in MS Word
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro and InCopy
- Teacher certification or classroom teaching experience a plus
- Experience as a technical or curriculum writer is highly desirable
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Word certification a plus
- Ability to work at the direction of the manager and as part of a team, particularly in a virtual environment
- Liaise with other staff on specific projects.
- Develop skills and familiarity with the most current edition of MS Word.
- Use SharePoint and other document management sites as appropriate.
- Strive for high-quality work and thrive in a deadline-driven, high-volume production environment.
- Demonstrate a high degree of professionalism.
- Possess a love of and feel for language.
- Demonstrate quality writing skills, including spelling and grammar.
- Participate in annual reviews.
- Demonstrate perseverance, collaboration, flexibility, and excellence in our work.
- Build and maintain great working relationships with fellow team members and other Great Minds personnel.
Copy Edit Manager
Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact email@example.com
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.