Freelance Copy Editor
Copy Editor Consultant
Type of Vacancy: 1099 Contract
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Through June 30, 2024
Fees: $30.00-$40.00/hour based on experience
Areas of interest: Experience as a copy editor, editorial assistant, proofreader, or content editor is strongly preferred.
Teaching Lab is a nonprofit organization with a mission to fundamentally shift the paradigm of teacher professional learning to achieve educational equity. We envision a world where teachers and students thrive together in communities that enable life-long learning and meaningful lives. In partnership with teachers, we transform professional learning from the ground up to dramatically improve student outcomes. We also work with school, district, and state leaders to create the instructional systems necessary to support these changes.
We seek motivated copy editors consultants to curate compelling content for our organization. Eligible individuals must have high grammatical proficiency and great attention to detail, and be able to perform quick turnaround reviews of documents. Join us to help Teaching Lab provide excellent professional learning and coaching experiences that reach 1 million + students each year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- A Copy Editor Consultant will provide support to various departments within Teaching Lab as needs arise to improve the content of our professional development to educators, and support the work of our business development, marketing & communications, learning & research, people & culture, or operations teams. The Copy Editor Consultant will:
- Work closely with various departments to understand project requirements
- Review and revise content for accuracy and quality, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax
- Review and offer improvements to Teaching Lab-designed graphics and/or representations, including powerpoint slides for increased impact, in alignment with learning principles
- Communicate and work with the project team to ensure that content is ready for publication or dissemination in a timely manner
- Knowledge of Associated Press and Chicago Style citations
- Ensure that content adheres to Teaching Lab’s style guide
- If requested, write executive summaries, blurbs, leads, or headlines
- Compile and update style guide as required
- Experience in publishing and/or editing
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organized with strong attention to details
- Strong time management skills
- High proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft products: Word/ Google Doc, Excel/ Google Sheet, PowerPoint/ Google Slides
- Reliable and consistently completes work in a timely manner with high quality
- Experience working in a remote environment
- Experience working in a high-paced work environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, English, or related field
- Experience with K-12 education context
- Knowledge of SEO
- A 1099 Contractor is not eligible for Teaching Lab’s benefits and perks
- Copy Editor Consultants are scheduled on a by project basis and are generally notified up to one week before the project begins. The number of service hours and the specific hours are dependent on projects we have and when you are available.
- When contacted for services, consultants have two business days to accept the project.
- We strive to ensure that quality talent is selected and performs work for Teaching Lab. Due to the nature of the services provided by Teaching Lab, we engage in environments that potentially put our 1099 Contractors in close proximity to children and youth under the age of eighteen (18). Therefore, in an effort to protect the children and youth, our partners, and employees, Teaching Lab conducts background checks as part of the selection and hiring process. This includes reference checks, and verifications/checks for a social security number, education, employment, criminal records search (national and county), global watch list, and sex offender status. Additionally, depending on a specific partnership/contract requirement, the criminal background check process could include fingerprinting. Reference checks are completed by Teaching Lab’s People & Culture team. Other background checks are conducted by our third party vendor Checkr and/or the State specific criminal background check provider.