Full-Time Audio and Video Editor ($60 – $74K)
Audio and Video Editor
Who We Are
PushBlack is the nation’s largest nonprofit media organization for Black Americans, reaching 9 million people across multiple platforms. We tell empowering stories on Black life and history that inspire people to take liberating actions in the best interest of Black communities.
In 2021, PushBlack grew to 6M subscribers on Facebook Messenger and 500K followers on Instagram. We also ran the nation’s largest GOTV campaign for Black Americans. In May 2020, we launched Black History Year, our critically-acclaimed podcast, which has received over 3M downloads. As the #1 trusted media source for millions of Black Americans, our growing media footprint empowers our audience and activates them to take actions in the best interest of the Black community, driving unprecedented levels of civic engagement.
What We’re Looking For
We’re hiring a skilled and creative Audio and Video Editor to join our team. This individual will help create high-quality content for our current and future PushBlack podcasts and productions. They will be responsible for providing exceptional audio and visual edits to ensure that the final product meets our high standards of quality and professionalism. In addition to podcast editing, this position will also assist with video edits for various projects, such as promotional videos, social media content, and video teasers. This position will report to the Podcast Producer and work in partnership with the Video Producer, Senior Content Strategist, and the Chief Content Officer.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Audio Editing
- Recording live podcasts in either Recording Studios or on Remote Recording Software.
- Editing audio recordings of podcasts to ensure optimal sound quality, clarity, and consistency using industry-standard software and tools.
- Editing video recordings of podcasts, as well as other video series, incorporating engaging, impactful, and creative visual techniques
- Contributing creative ideas for podcasts and videos that will help elevate the brand and narrative goals
- Collaborating with creative teams to understand the vision and deliver edits that align with the podcast’s overall style and branding.
- Troubleshooting audio systems for the hosts, producers, and contributors
- Assisting with setups, equipment maintenance, and providing technical expertise and advice as needed during recording sessions
- Video Editing
- Reviewing raw footage to assess the quality and organization of the material in alignment with the project’s goals.
- Selecting the best shots, arranging them in a logical sequence, and trimming unnecessary parts to create a cohesive story or message.
- Enhancing the video’s overall quality and impact by adding transitions and other effects.
- Color-correcting imbalances in the footage and ensuring visual consistency throughout the project.
- Rendering the final video in the appropriate format and resolution for its intended use (e.g., social media, broadcast, or film).
- Optimizing video content for various platforms and screen sizes, while adhering to technical specifications and guidelines.
- Creative Support
- Participating in pre-production meetings to provide input on production plans, workflows, and suggestions for improvement.
- Monitoring and ensuring timely delivery of edited podcasts and video projects, adhering to production schedules and deadlines.
- Maintaining open and effective communication channels to ensure alignment on project goals and timelines.
- Implementing and maintaining best practices for podcast audio and video editing workflows to ensure efficiency and consistency.
- Organizing and managing audio and video assets, maintaining a well-structured and easily accessible library.
- Developing standard operating procedure documents for the production team
- Staying up to date with industry trends, tools, and techniques related to audio and video editing, and making recommendations for process improvements.
Skills + Experience
- Three (3) or more years of experience as an audio engineer and video editor or equivalent position.
- Proficiency in using industry-standard audio editing software and video editing software (e.g., Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve).
- Experienced storyteller
- Experienced supporting remote video production
- Demonstrated experience with audio repair, sound design, and mixing
- Strong understanding of audio and video production techniques, including sound design, mixing, color correction, and visual effects.
- Broad understanding, aesthetic sense, thoughtful judgment, and a keen ear/eye for attributes of high-quality recordings and videos
- Solid knowledge of audio and video formats and file delivery specifications.
- Experience with processing techniques commonly used in audio recording, including equalization (EQ), reverberation, dynamics processing, and digital noise reduction
- Ability to troubleshoot complex issues quickly, calmly, and creatively under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and follow through on projects to completion
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively with a team.
- Excellent attention to detail, with good organization and time management skills
- Collaborative attitude and strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to people with technical and nontechnical backgrounds
- Ability to prioritize actions to align with strategic priorities
- Creative and out of the box thinking
- Flexible scheduling required (some nights and weekends as needed throughout the season)
- A portfolio of previous audio and video editing work is highly desirable.
This Would Put You Over The Top
- Graphic design and animation expertise
- Passion for Black history and social justice Issues
- Experience leading a podcast and/or a video production team
- Understands that this work is in service of the organization, its audience, and the people who do the work of the organization
- Familiarity with G-Suite, Slack, Trello, and/or other online productivity tools
What We Offer Our Team
- Whether you love your couch or your desk, it doesn’t matter. We’re 100% Remote!
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurances
- Retirement savings account (401K) with tiered matching contributions
- Three weeks’ (15 PTO days) paid vacation in the first year of service; four weeks (20 PTO days) in subsequent years. Ten (10) Sick days and 3 Floating Holidays every year.
- Eight (8) Paid Holidays, including Juneteenth, as well as a Winter holiday for the last week of the year
- Annual taxable work-from-home stipend ($4,800)
- Annual professional development budget ($1,750 of which $500 can roll over each year)
- School loan repayment assistance support up to $200 monthly for undergraduate loans or up to $300 for graduate loans
- Parental Leave during new child’s first year
Let’s Talk About The Salary
- The salary range for this position is $60,314.80 – $74,682.40.
PushBlack is an equal-opportunity employer. People of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people are centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.