Associate Video Editor
Title: Associate Video Editor/Producer, Temporary, El Dodo
Location: Remote (US Only)
WHO WE ARE
You will have the exciting opportunity to work on El Dodo, The Dodo’s dedicated Spanish-language brand.
The Dodo is the leading digital media brand for animal people and the #1 animal brand on Facebook. We’re a halo brand for everyone who loves animals, from people who are obsessed with their pets all the way to committed animal advocates. We create fun, authentic, and meaningful content that not only entertains but makes people feel connected to animals and empowered to help where it’s needed. Our approach is social-first: we cater to a social, mobile audience, and each piece of content is optimized to feel native to its platform.
The Dodo is the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S., and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres. We tell fun, entertaining, emotional stories about animals that make people laugh, cry happy tears, feel ALL the feels, and fall in love with animals.
The Dodo is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Temporary support for producing midform video content, translated from English to Spanish, in addition to short-form content for our El Dodo team.
As our temporary Associate Video Editor for El Dodo, you will thoughtfully translate and repackage existing videos from English to Spanish using Adobe Premiere. The majority of the videos will be midform length, but there will also be an opportunity to experiment with creating short-form content.The ideal candidate will be an experienced translator who has an obsession with digital media and is nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. To thrive in this role, you must demonstrate excellent storytelling skills and have a knack for scripting and producing compelling content for digital platforms, including Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and TikTok.
- Thoughtfully repackage The Dodo videos for El Dodo by way of (1) localized translation from English to Spanish text and (2) rebranding using Adobe Premiere and After Effects
- Independently translate English text to Spanish, with an emphasis on achieving a conversational, native and universal voice rather than direct translation
- Meet video output deadlines on a weekly basis
- Responsible for filing videos in our video database software
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection, sourcing and editing techniques, working closely with other editors and the El Dodo team
- Support production of short-form versions of mid-form content as our strategy evolves
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Consistently exceeding team benchmarks (1-minute views for mid-form content and 3-second views for short-form content)
- Embracing new challenges and experimenting with new formats while remaining true to the brand and best practices
- Understanding business needs and individual role in meeting company goals
- Proactively taking on new projects and initiatives that contribute to the success of the team
WHO YOU ARE
The Dodo is seeking a creative, efficient and organized visual storyteller to join our team as a Video Editor. We’ve seen rapid audience growth on El Dodo since launching in 2017, and we’re looking for someone who is excited to build on this momentum and motivated to grow with us.
- At least 2 years of editorial experience in video editing and storytelling
- Fluent Spanish, able to communicate and narrate (writing/speaking) in a universal, native and conversational tone
- An expert in copywriting, writing scripts (in Spanish), and translating (English to Spanish and vice versa)
- Possesses a deep understanding of social media platforms, including TikTok, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube, and what video formats work on each
- A proactive, can-do attitude and desire to collaborate with others across the team
- Has a clear point of view on structure, script and social copy every story is created around a strong kernel from the pitch stage forward (even if that kernel changes)
- Advanced experience with Premiere and basic experience with After Effects
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a temporary, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life.
The salary range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate’s skills and experience.