Associate Health Editor
REMOTE (US BASED) /
LIVESTRONG – EDITORIAL /
Leaf Group is a house of brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories: Fitness & Wellness (Well+Good, Livestrong.com); Home & Decor (Hunker, Society6, Deny Designs), and Art & Design (Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair). Additionally, we have performance focused brands in key categories such as Travel, Pets, and DIY (OnlyInYourState, Cuteness, eHow). Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
LIVESTRONG.com is a top healthy living site, covering fitness, nutrition and health. We strive to help all people make informed decisions about their wellbeing. We inspire and motivate our readers to make life-changing healthy choices by providing credible and shareable information coupled with helpful apps and an online support community. We rely on high-quality research and our network of experts to make LIVESTRONG.com the trustworthy, authoritative destination for people wanting to live their best lives.
As part of LIVESTRONG’s ongoing efforts to make our articles more equitable and inclusive, we’re sharing details about the language we use and why.
We are looking for an Associate Health Editor to help us improve and grow LIVESTRONG.com’s health vertical. This position requires strong top editing skills, experience assigning and a solid understanding of SEO best practices. You will be responsible for editing new articles as well as updating existing articles to ensure readers are getting up-to-date, trustworthy health information.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for an Associate Health Editor grows with us.
A typical day as an Associate Health Editor might include:
- Assigning, writing, updating, fact-checking and/or editing 2-3 stories daily
- Brainstorming and pitching both timely stories with a news peg as well as utilitarian and service-driven evergreen stories
- Working closely with the Senior Wellbeing Editor to help create and update articles across the health vertical
- Assigning stories to both full-time staff and freelance writers, and ensuring assignments are returned in a timely manner and to standard
- Gathering information and conducting research on various health topics to ensure articles are accurate and backed by the most reliable, up-to-date information
- Finding, interviewing and developing relationships with a diverse group of health experts
- Creating and updating SEO health stories within a defined keyword universe
- Collaborating and coordinating with the Audience Development Team to ensure articles are promoted across channels — including social media, email newsletters and referral platforms — in effective and engaging ways
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of the health world in order to stay abreast of promising new developments and trends
What You Have:
- 2-4 years writing/editing experience, preferably for a digital health or lifestyle publication.
- Experience covering and/or editing health and science studies (and the ability to translate study-speak into useful takeaways the average reader can understand).
- Experience finding and interviewing health experts.
- Experience assigning to a stable of freelance writers.
- Impeccable writing, revising and fact-checking skills.
- Ability and willingness to accept and implement constructive feedback on assignments, and an eager attitude toward learning from top editors.
- Experience editing stories that adhere to SEO best practices.
- Ability to prioritize and manage your time productively.
- An interest in helping people from all backgrounds live their healthiest, happiest lives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats – no job being too small or too large.
- We’re casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. Personal accountability goes a long way. We believe we are the change.
You’ll be successful if you are passionate about creating high-quality, service-driven content that helps readers at all stages of their health journeys. The Associate Health Editor is responsible for pitching, assigning, editing and publishing stories on various health topics. Information gathering and fact-checking is at the heart of this position: We need someone who knows how to find and confirm authoritative primary sources to ensure our content is accurate, clear and useful.
- Leaf Group is among the 2022 & 2019 Built In LA Best Places To Work
- Among Comparably’s 2021 Best Companies for Company Culture, Company Perks & Benefits, Company Compensation, Best CEO for Diversity, and Best CEO for Women
- eHow is the 2019 & 2020 People’s Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
- OnlyInYourState is ranked the #3 Travel and Information Site (ComScore)
- Well+Good is the 2019 People’s Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
- Leaf Group is among TalentDesk’s 2019 Best Companies To Work For
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company AwardMyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- We are a wholly owned subsidiary of Graham Holdings Company (NYSE: GHC), a storied diversified holding company
For full-time permanent roles:
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Gender-neutral family leave
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Step 1: A video/phone call with a member from our Hiring Team. In this call, we will cover the basics of the role and our company, and discuss a high level overview of your past experiences, goals, and interest in this role.
Step 2: A call with your potential manager or someone from the hiring team to dive deeper into your experiences and goals.
Step 3: If applicable, short assessment to help us see your skill sets as they relate to the role we have. We will review this in Step 1.
Step 4: Depending on the role, interviews with key stakeholders from the role (could be 1 or up to 3) who will dive further into the role with you and answer any questions you may have.
Leaf Group is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that reflects our customers and the world we live in. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply for our roles. Leaf Group is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Agency Disclosure: If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.