In this managerial role, your primary responsibility is to edit and mentor writers as they expand their expertise and authority in the personal finance topics they write about — including credit cards, mortgages, banking, loans, investing and general personal finance. You’ll also participate in the creation and execution of our quarterly content roadmap.
Day to day you’ll work with our experienced editorial team to manage writers and help deepen our team culture, as well as collaborate on, and sometimes lead, cross-functional projects. Overall, the right candidate can balance multiple priorities and is a detailed editor.
If You Were Here 6 Months Ago, Here Are Some Initiatives You Might Have Worked On
- Crafting and launching our article syndication process.
- Editing year-end updates of all of our tax content.
- Supporting the launch of the Loans vertical through strategic planning, assignment creation and line editing.
- Researching and designing rubrics for our product review and star rating systems.
Where You Can Make An Impact
- Line editing content authoritatively for transparency, accuracy, structure, tone, voice, style and grammar to help writers build authority and trust with consumers.
- Leading and developing writers, and potentially other editors.
- Leading content team meetings when needed.Influencing, building and completing content strategy for one or more verticals, alongside other collaborator teams, to meet key goals.
- Ensuring the team accepts SEO best practices, iterates to achieve the best organic search results and optimally maintains the performance of their content.
- Collaborating with cross-functional team members to evaluate, prioritize, and take ownership of business and content opportunities.
- Adapting content strategy and approach as consumer, company and team priorities evolve.
- Growing domain expertise to identify consumer struggles and industry trends, and supporting the team in doing the same.
- Effectively communicating strategy, goals, ideals and feedback within and outside the team.
- Optimizing and leading aspects of the editorial workflow and processes.
- Demonstrating and fostering a growth mindset to ensure the team is improving and expanding skills, and thinking bigger over time.
- Interviewing applicants for open content roles.
- Passionate about ensuring that NerdWallet Canada’s content is engaging, clear and practical.
- A consistent editor, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style, but also expertise around research and reporting, consumer-first messaging and SEO.
- At ease with giving and receiving constructive feedback and committed to self-improvement.
- Able to work through contending viewpoints and handle significant conversations effectively.
- Comfortable making prioritization decisions, dedicating resources as priorities call for.
- Tenacious about working efficiently and having a strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity.
- Resourceful and self-directed.
- You can manage a variety of assignments with minimal direction, and consistently deliver polished work.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 5+ years experience editing for consumer-facing publications in the U.S. or Canada.
- 2+ years of people management experience.
- Knowledge of the Canadian Personal Finance landscape and SEO experience are a plus.
- Experience managing writers or freelancers.
- Experience working on projects with cross-functional partners is a plus.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or Remote (US and Canadian Province excluding Quebec)
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What We Offer
- The salary range for this role is $100,000-$177,000.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you’re remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be Your Best Self – we’ll Take Care Of The Details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan For Your Future (And When You Retire on Your Island, Remember The Little People)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here. NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.