Full-Time Administrative Specialist
WRI UNITED STATES
Support Washington, DC, United States
This position is remote-eligible and only for consideration within the United States where WRI is state registered. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the US. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the Program:
As the world’s largest economy and the number-one historical emitter, the U.S. carries enormous influence as to whether climate challenges can be successfully addressed. WRI works at the federal, state, local, and corporate levels to develop solutions to the most pressing environmental challenges. We conduct rigorous, peer-reviewed research and convene stakeholders from the public and private sectors to identify practical solutions. The United States needs an all-hands-on-deck approach to addressing the climate crisis. WRI is working to advance climate action on all levels of government and in high-emitting sectors to raise climate ambition through policy and economic recovery legislation. WRI also helps states, cities, corporates and other large buyers accelerate the transition to a clean energy future. WRI focuses on addressing market barriers to clean energy, accelerating the transition to renewable resources and advancing innovative solutions for a low carbon grid.
In this role, you will provide executive support to the WRI-U.S. Director, the Director of Industrial Innovation and Carbon Dioxide Removal, and the Director of US-International Engagement. Your specific responsibilities will include: calendar scheduling, travel support, timesheet and expense management, event coordination, and other tasks as assigned. You will provide administrative support to the WRI-US Director and two other members of the WRI-US leadership team. You will function as a close partner to the WRI-US Director, proactively resolve issues, and ensure preparation for upcoming travel, events, and commitments, while also supporting the development, communications, and cohesion of the WRI-US team. You will be supported by the WRI-US operations team and the WRI-US Deputy Director. This position requires excellent attention to detail, good understanding of team dynamics, strong time and priority management abilities and an optimistic outlook. This is an excellent position for someone seeking to gain experience in research and project management in an elite environmental research and analysis organization lauded for its subject matter expertise and operational transparency. You will also coordinate program needs such as monthly calls, day-to-day scheduling, and program events. This role includes working with the WRI-US Director to manage their calendar and to support preparations for meetings and presentations as needed.
What will you do:
Executive Support to WRI-US Director (50%):
- Manage the WRI-US Director’s daily calendar and coordinate scheduling of internal, external, and team meetings; support agenda planning and meeting preparation; email prioritization and other administrative support
- Plan and make travel arrangements, and prepare and monitor expense reports
- Coordinate and schedule meetings among project teams and support regular WRI-US team meetings
- Assist with the WRI-US internal web presence for effective team communications
- Assist with team file management to enhance recordkeeping and streamline collaboration
- Provide support for external and internal events, workshops, and conferences through A/V and catering preparation, participant and speaker coordination, and preparing event materials
- Support in-person team gatherings, including an annual program convening, by planning and implementing logistics
- Keep minutes at internal/external events and meetings
- Coordinate recruitment and manage on-boarding of new staff members
- Support project teams, US directors, and the US program with administrative tasks, office support, personnel support, guiding staff on internal procedures and systems, as needed
Leadership Team Administrative Support (50%):
- Provide travel and scheduling support to the Director of Industrial Innovation and Carbon Removal and the Director of US-International Engagement as needed
- Provide other administrative support to the Director of Industrial Innovation and Carbon Removal including task management and managing external communications
- Provide logistics support for external and internal events, workshops, and conferences held by the US-International Engagement team that include senior participants from the US, China, EU, and India. This might include coordinating A/V and catering preparation, participant and speaker coordination, and preparing event materials
What will you need:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field or with professional work to demonstrate the relevance of that experience. Excellent academic record preferred
- Experience: Minimum of 2 year of relevant, full-time work experience
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work under pressure with tight deadlines
- Flexible and capable of working with minimal direction and supervision
- Strong process orientation with sensitivity to quality, timelines, and organizational systems
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills that support problem-solving and fosters trust and reliability
- Strong computer skills including high level of comfort with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and web-based communications and applications (Microsoft Teams, Asana)
- Strong organizational, coordination, and project management skills, using web-based tools like Asana to foster transparency and internal communications
- Excellent attention to detail, and ability to prioritize senior leadership needs and communications
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills
- Commitment to WRI’s mission and values
- US work authorization is required for all WRI-US opportunities
Potential Salary: Salary range is between 57,000 and 64,000 USD. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply: Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of August 18, 2023. You mustapply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.