Full-Time Academic Coach Writing
Academic Coach Writing
R 2023 1624
Academic Coaches are responsible for providing virtual academic assistance to students in a variety of forms, including synchronous and asynchronous coaching sessions, tutorials, and webinars. Writing coaches assist students in developing strong written communication skills. Coaches will identify the student’s unique learning strengths, develop individual plans for academic support, and promote self-confidence and independence.
- Assist students in understanding the foundation of scholarly writing and using an academic voice, allowing them to relate the concepts across all courses as well as in their personal and professional life.
- Assist students in understanding APA guidelines related specifically to written communication.
- Assist the student in being able to critically analyze existing research with a focus on qualitative methodology.
- Assist students in presenting a compelling argument for why a study is needed that is rooted in existing literature and theory.
- Implement best practices in working with adult, and online students at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- Provide synchronous one-to-one and group academic coaching.
- Provide asynchronous screencast or written coaching feedback.
- Assist students in becoming autonomous, self-directed learners.
- Provide post-coaching session feedback to students.
- Maintain records of student contact.
- Engage in the assessment of student learning.
- Help students identify their learning strengths and weaknesses and connect them with the necessary resources to aid in success.
- Evaluate student learning styles, skills, deficiencies, and goals; identify appropriate learning resources for them to use, and facilitate their use of those resources.
- Develop academic resources to include video tutorials and lessons on assigned topics.
- Stay current with organizational, educational, and faculty development policies that affect the academic Success Center (ASC).
- Continually improve coaching skills.
- Support the mission of the Academic Success Center (ASC) within National University.
- Participate in required training, coaching, and other activities that promote high-quality coaching.
- Attend team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Academic Success Center (ASC) Director and/or Coordinator.
- Reasonable and consistent attendance to fulfill the requirements of the position.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Education & Experience:
- Doctoral degree in a relevant field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant coaching or tutoring experience within a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated success working with non-traditional (adult) students required.
- Tutoring or academic coaching certification or evidence of university teaching excellence required.
- Previous success in tutoring, academic coaching, or teaching written communication required.
- Ability to provide personalized instruction in non-technical language based on students’ unique strengths and growth areas with little to no preparation required.
- Experience in an online learning environment required.
- Proficiency in using technology in the delivery of education required.
- Experience working with online doctoral students preferred.
- Demonstrated success in guiding doctoral students through dissertation completion preferred
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Experience working in a technology-driven enterprise preferred.
- All skills, abilities and education will be considered for minimum qualifications.
- Knowledge of adult learning theories and cognitive load theories.
- Graduate-level written communication skills.
- Developmental editing skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of APA style guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper paraphrasing.
- Demonstrated expertise with NVivo.
- Ability to work in an online environment.
- Excellent analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Skill in operating equipment, such as personal computer and phone system.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with aggressive goals and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to establish online rapport and maintain a friendly, helpful, patient attitude and demeanor.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and other applications in the Microsoft Office suite.
Travel: No Travel
Candidate receiving offers will be offered a salary/pay rate commensurate with experience that vary based on a candidate’s qualifications, skills, and competencies. Absent exceptional circumstances, candidates will be offered a salary within this range for this position. The minimum salary will be offered based on the minimum exemption threshold based on state of residency. Base pay is one component of National University’s total rewards package, as we are dedicated to supporting the needs of the “whole you” with our holistic approach to employee benefits by offering comprehensive well-being benefits for you and your family. For full details about our benefit plan offerings, please visit benefits.nu.edu. For Part-time benefits, please click here.
Hourly: $27.85 – $36.20
National University is committed to maintaining a high-quality, diverse workforce representative of the populations we serve. National University employs more than 5,000 faculty and staff and serves over 41,000 students. We are united in our mission to meet the global education demands of the 21st Century and are dedicated to creating a supportive academic and work environment that allows students, faculty and staff to develop their interests and talents while experiencing a sense of community and a commitment to diversity. With programs available both online and at our many campus locations, National University is a leader in creating innovative solutions to education and meeting the needs of our diverse student population, including adult learners and working professionals.
National University offers an opportunity to work in an innovative environment that supports diversity.
National University (NU) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employee per applicable federal, state and local laws. At NU, a diverse mix of highly talented, innovative and creative people come together to make the impact of a lifetime for each of our student learners. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment, education, and admission at National University. We are focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, color, ancestry, age, family care status, veteran status, marital status, creed, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and other legally protected group status.